Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Fri I learned that "it never rains it pours" has a new meaning with my car. I had my car flooded for about 1 hour in a depth up to the bottom of the valve covers. I replaced and flushed the cooler lines, the transmission, engine oil and hoped for the best. The car will turn over but cut out if I try to put in gear. Could I have water in the gas tank? How does one drain the gas tank? with just a piece of rubber and siphon it out? Then what I assume the water will still be sitting on the bottom, will it evaporate if I leave the gas cap off? I assume that the carb is also fouled up with the water going through, and the gas lines?
Has anybody had experience with this? Help, How do I get my car running again?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would also assume that water got into your exhaust system through the tailpipe and may still be there--might want to drop it after the H-pipe. Maybe the torque converter/valve body? Not familiar with Automatic flooding.

Sorry for your problems, may need drivetrain rebuild. Sheesh! Don't fool with Mother Nature!

G

·
0 Posts
If it got up that high you'll have water in it. Siphon it out of the tank as best you can & drain the carb too. Remove the fuel pick-up line from the fuel pump & run one into a gas can to get it running. You'll need to use a pump to remove the rest of the tainted gas from the tank. Replace the lines & fill the tank with fresh fuel. Get a can or two of Heet for your fuel, this will remove the rest of the water... then... do as I did with my flooded GT350... SELL IT! Mine aquired too many gremlins after the flood(got it off of the neighbors porch) & it was way too much work to keep it up.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The previous post about removing gas is good
You will also have a rear end full of water, it entered thru the vent line on top of the rear axle. No easy way to remove..you'll have to tear down and clean it out since thee water won't "float out"
Find every connector, plug, and connection you can and pull apart and spray with WD-40. You are trying to displace any and all moisture..goes for under the distributor cap, spark plugs andd everything under the dash and lighting plugs
Don't see how you can expect to drive with seats and carpet soaked that badly. Remove seats and carpet and wash down carpet with light clorox..bleach..water mix and hose off well, then let throughly dry. Do same with seats to get the foam dry but what a pain to remove the seat covers. If you don't expect seats to start smelling really bad shortly. You got to kill off all the germs..sewre water..that has soaked into everything. Wash down floor pans and anywhere else you can get with the bleach mix.
The engine will run fine again by just getting the wateer out of it and fuel wupply. It's the interior problems that will ruin the car. Newer cars have computers under the seats so they are totalled reeal quick if water gets that high. You stand a good chance to get the car back as was if you thoroghly clean, disinfect it.
We figure it's a Mustang before 73 since not in your bio......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts