Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took long enough! There'll be a few fasteners taken out as I prep local surfaces (and I couldn't get the door jambs out from the door frame - the frame wobbled on the jackstands when I pushed hard on the big phillips head screw driver), but other than that, the car is completely stripped.

My 11 year old son is having a ball peeling body putty, dirt, grease and other assorted muck off the sheetmetal. Naturally, I've shown him how to cover the surface with primer. It gives him a thrill, and since I plan to strip it of anyway, why not let him get dirty too!

So, other than getting dusty, I think the really grimy days are behind me. Yeah!! One of these days I'll update the website to show recent pics.

Just had to share!! Now, back to wallpapering a kids room!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds great! I know how exciting it is to get a step done on the long road of a car restoration, I am almost done with the metal repair/replacement on my 65' fastback. Keep us updated with pics.

Jason

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Amen Brother!

I have finished with the stripping of rust, paint, undercoating, etc. What a chore. But what a difference when you get everything repaired and start priming the body again.

I am finally in the reassembly stages after stripping the car bare. It's actually exciting to be putting things on instead of ripping them off.

Good luck and have fun! It's great that your son can be involved. Mine is only 3 1/2, but he enjoys "helping" dad.

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Sounds like fun. The disassembly, stripping and metalwork is definitely the really dirty part....The reassembly is more challenging, as you need to put it together so that it works (with no parts left over), but is more fulfilling as well. Dickson

·
Registered
527 Posts
What's wrong with having parts left over??? ;-) If it still works, I figure I just did a better job putting it together than the plant did!!! lol

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Striker plate? Try a impact screwdriver, should make short work of it.

Man, this is the "OH MY GOD" phase. And "what have I done" will flow out of your brain more than once soon. Good luck, sounds like a great project. Mine has been a wonderfull PITA and I can't wait to take her out for her next push!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Now we have to put our stripped out cars back together. I threw everything in boxes. I should have documented, documented.......It fun!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts