Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after not starting the car for 2 days, my new battery was dead. I charged it up for an hour and it was fine. Later on while I was on the road, my car died on me (the first time I had it on the road for longer than 5 minutes).... several times. It was soo bad that i had to get a tow!
First let me tell you what I have...
i'm using an 87 lincoln motor (just rebuilt) with a new alternator and battery.
My car started to hesitate and sputter a little bit. I was stopped at a light and the car just died. I tried to fire it up again and all i heard was the clicking of the starter and the fuel pump barely moving. I guy was kind enough to jumped me, but it only stayed running for 2 minutes. While it was running for those 2 minutes, I had put a timing lite on it (figuring my timing was a little off). The light would barely blink! It would blink once in a while, but not steady. So I figured my timng gun was going bad. Threw it in the back seat, put the car in gear and stalled. The guy that jumped me was long gone by now and there was no one else around to help. I called for a tow. He put his jumper pack on my battery and the car fired right up. As soon as he took it off, it died seconds after. We tried this several times, but it resulted with me going for the $85 tow. My ignition coil is new, starter relay is new, new battery, new rebuilt alternator, fairly new voltage regulator. what is my problem? Any suggestoins?? HELP!!! thanks - Chris

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You should get the charging system tested ON THE CAR. They can tell you what is wrong then.

·
Registered
680 Posts
the electrical system is deffinatly not charging the battery. Charge the battery. Start the engine. Take the positive battery cable off. It should keep running. If it dies, the alternator is not putting out any charge...I f it is not charging, I would take the car to the auto parts store where you got the battery and other electrical parts,and let them check the system out for you....Just cause it is new, don't mean it works....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, this is a real questoin. If the car won't stay on with the battery connected, why would it stay on with it disconnected?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts