Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I turned the ignition key off and removed the key the other night and the engine kept running. I figured the bulk of my problems might be trying to get the car started, not stopped.

What could cause this? Just a loose wire somewhere? I thought it may be heat related. I had done a number of start and stop trips that night. It hasn't done it since.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You have to be more specific....

Did it continue to idle as normal, or did it idle very unevenly and maybe make some diesel like sounds?

If it continued to idle normally, you are probably getting voltage to the coil even when the key is off

If it ran unevenly (dieseled), the idle speed, idle mixture, ignition timing, and maybe fuel quality may be affecting it.

G

·
0 Posts
either the ignition switch or the solenoid will cause an engine to keep running. This is if it is truely"running" and not preignition.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If it still ran normally, did you happen to start the car, then continue turning the ingnition afterwards for a bit?

If so, that happened to me once, and I had to pop the ignition once again while the car was still running, then turned the ignition off and it worked. Makes a horrible noise though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It ran completely normally as if I had not removed the key. I poped the hood and pulled solenoid wire to stop it. I started it again just to see and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and I had to pop the ignition once again while the car was still running, then turned the ignition off and it worked. Makes a horrible noise though.

<hr></blockquote>

Not good for the teeth on the starter...been there, done that!

Gary

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like the starter solinoid is sticking....same thing will happen if you put the wrong wires on the wrong post on the solinoid. I would replace the solinoid....this might happen again at a bad time. They are cheap....replace it..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably worth mentioning that most everything in the engine compartment is new, about 3 months old. The only ignition related items that are older are the voltage regulator and battery - came with the car so 2 plus years and the distributor - about a year old. The solenoid, coil, pertronix and all wiring were redone with a complete engine compartment refurbishment and engine replacement about 3 months ago. I still could have a flaky solenoid even though it is new.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
If that's the case, it probably is most likely a faulty key ignition switch. However, solenoid switches (near the battery) are notorious for being bad out of the box, so I'd start there. It's cheaper and easier to replace than the ignition switch.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i have that exact problem and that is the same solution i use, except mine is a 1998 V6 Stang!. i couldnt believe it, did it for like a whole month and NONE of the Ford dealers in the area could find anything wrong with it. my car must have been made on Monday or Friday. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
The first thing I'd change is the starter solenoid, the ignition switch would be the second.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
After reading all the posts and you explanations it is your Volt reg,,Just relpace it with the new transister type and you will be fine,,the reg is telling the alt to make juice and feeding the ignition,,I've had NOS unit that have sat arround do it and they just required a little bending of the spring tabs on the inside of the box(just as the factory does to adjust them)

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Robbie: You're Nutzo! How can the VR cause the car to keep running? All is does is control how much voltage to supply to the battery and system, not when it does, which is the job of the starter switch and the solenoid switch.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
MIDLIFE this is the reason I don't post much,,thanks for reminding me,,But for your info,the volt reg when locked in the closed position allows the voltage to travel back up the stream,and hense throught the coil if it is not switched off,,SO if You still have a points type reg, take off the cover and have someone start the car while your watching it and you can see the contacts make contact when key is off the contact should open, but if they don,t open the car will keep running,Why don't you try holding it closed and just test my theory which I KNOW is the case as my NOS one did it on the BOSS but what do I know,,I'm a sign guy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts