Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 coupe i thoughtat first was eating batteries from a short in the wiring. so three batteries later with a brand new one in the car its just makes a really quick clicking noise but here recently ive kinda leaned towards the starter relay when i left the windshield wiper switch on and tapped the relay with a ratchet they worked perfectly like the batery had plenty of juice. anybody??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere or a bad solenoid. Do your lights go dim while it just clicks? If not it sounds like a bad starter solenoid. If the lights go dim it could be a cable or connection. I am assuming it is your selenoid that is ckicking. I just can't understand what the wipers has to do with anything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wipers were left on because when the battery was hooked up i needed something i could leave on so i could see if there were any shorts its not like i could hold the horn while i went up to the engine compartment , but yeah the starter relay switch neds replaced?? is the whats being refered to as a soleonoid??? i lose total power when i try to start the car then after tapping the starter relay switch everything works fine except when i try to start it

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Either you've got an incredibly poor connection at the battery side of the starter selonoid, or your starter selonoid is completely fried and shorting, draining the battery. Easiest way to check would be with an amp meter between the + battery cable and the baterry post.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
For me, the easiest way to check the solenoid would be to buy another one for $15... :p)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Here's something to try. Try to start the car with a known good battery with the head lights on. If they go way dim it's the starter windings shorting (replace the battery)if not it's a bad connection or the starter relay or cables.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just don't buy any more batteries. :) If you want to invest in something, get a batt charger and a voltmeter, if you don't already have them. You need both to own this car.

First thing to do with any electrical problem is clean and tighten all electrical connections in your starting system. This may not fix your problem, but may prevent future problems. Then replace your solenoid. Even if this doesn't fix your problem, you're not a true Mustanger until you have at least one of these in your parts bin that is perfectly good. Then get back to us on the results. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
you tapped the relay w/a rachet & the wipes worked?
you lost me there. why not just put hte headlights on & when the battery is connected, see if they shine bright>?
anyway. the problem is most definetely the solenoid. it would not hurt to take a look at all your cables while you are there. check for corrosion, rust & loose connections.
good luck. this should be a 15-50 dollar fix(if you need cables) AS sommeone else said'STOP BUYING BATTERIES!!"

G

·
0 Posts
I have shorted around a bad solenoid on several occasions, by using a pair of screwdrivers, one touching each post of the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, the starter will turn. If if doesn't, the solenoid isn't necessarily the problem. I'm in agreement with others....you need to clean up every connection, starting with the battery terminals, cable ends, etc. Do your cables have those replacement ends on them? IF so, check them, too. I've seen plenty that were plainly not making good connections. If the solenoid is suspect, replace it. Starters are easy to replace, too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for everyones info i havent been buying those batteries cause they croak so quickly that the warranty is still good on them

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
That's what I've done over the years, and now I have a full set of all the electical components (except for the starter.). It makes trouble shooting much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts