Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had/have a vacuum leak on my 70 (351C) which I think narrowed it down to the carb gasket leaking

Replaced the gasket, when I went to start it it started straight up for a few seconds then shut off which is fairly normal for the car on a car start, after that it will crank but not start like it's flooded, it's always been quite a good starter from cold, so my question is can replacing the gasket alter anything in terms of the way it starts ? Was very careful not to adjust or move anything else when removing the carb and pretty sure it's all back together how it was before, I never touched the distributor or altered any of the screws on the carb.

The carb is a 4 barrel Holley, 8050B

Checked and it has fuel and good spark.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your fuel bowl float could be hung up on the gasket and that's keep fuel from getting into the carb (or allowing too much). Check your spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel.

·
Registered
895 Posts
did you drain the carb for the install. I am also assuming you mean the carb to manifold gasket. The carb bowls may be empty and a little nudge of dribbled fuel into the carb may help. Or keep cranking and let the starter rest every 10 seconds or so. I guess the fuel pump could have died also. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Check the 3 big things the engine needs to run; Air, fuel and spark. You probably have air, but what about fuel and spark?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts