Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bumping around town the otehr day trying to find a coolant filter (which I never found) when I happened on a body shop called "Cruizers." This name looked very promising as a shop that did "old stuff" as the collision guys like to say.

I stopped in to look around. They had a pair of Olds 442 cars and a Dart GTS sitting inside... the Olds were being sanded, and the Dart was done. Dart looked gorgeous.

I got to talking to them, and they just opened up not too long ago. They will do any work brought to them, but they opened up to do old cars (YES)!! I talked to them, and it is a small shop. One of the Olds they were doing was actually a no -charge redo because they (the shop) didnt like the way the quarter was done. The customer was there, and he told me he was ready to take the car home, but the shop wouldnt let him cause they didnt feel it was as good as it could have been, so they decided to redo it at no charge. At this point I am starting to get giddy... it has taken a LONG time to find a good body shop in my town that WANTED to work on my car.

Anyway, I brougt the Mustang back later that day (was in a lot car when I found the shop), and had them look it over. I told them what I wanted - nice clean driver, no need for knock-out show quality paint that would keep its finish for a long time. They checked out the car, saw the rust, I showed them stuff they didnt see right away, and so-on. They took down notes, and told me they would get back to me with an estimate (which I LOVE.. they put THOUGHT into the estimate).

They called me today. For:
a complete strip of the car
replacing one quarter panel, repairing the other - hell, basically taking all the rust out of the body
replacing the taillight panel and a trunk section
repairing the wheel well on one side
taking my doofus wing-nut dents out of the hood
taking my "damn car wont run" fist mark out of the top
shaping and sanding the body
painting the whole car with a metallic BC/CC system
color sanding

they want to charge $4645. This estimate assumes 3 things: 1) I provide all panels except the quarter panel (I have them already), 2) I disassemble, and 3) I reassemble.

They will not be painting the trunk or engine compartment, I will do that.

On the surface, I am drooling. I really expected upwards of $8-10k for all that work. I think I may chip in and do some other things as well, maybe knoc kthe price down even further.

What are your opinions? I have seen their work. They had a few cars in there, and from what I saw... damn... I would only be so lucky. Nice bunch of guys too. They are sending me the estimate in writing /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
925 Posts
I just got done with similar work on my 84 SVO at about the same price range. Got two-stage PPG DAR (Deltron, I think) with about eights coats of clear. I'm happy with my job, from a small shop, paid a little less than your quote but in the same ballpark. I'd say go for it - they sound like good people. I have a web page showing before and after shots of my SVO here

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
That sounds like a really good deal! I've been shopping myself lately, and their offer does sound good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Usually, the other variable is time. Do they expect to take a month? Four months? A year? Make sure you have some time commitment in that estimate. If you can, give a call to some references (if they have some for you).

Good luck and keep us abreast! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Actually, it doesn't sound too bad if they are going to get on it and get it done within a respectable timeframe. They themselves will have over $1k in materials alone and the finish time for the quarter and wheel well installation isn't short by no means...Sounds like a good deal to me...

G

·
I'm glad I do my own work, the prices seem so outrageous, but then again, I'm old and got lots of time to "Dink" around with my toys. The body shop across from my woodshop just charged a guy $17,000 for his job. So ya gets what ya pay for.........Top

·
Registered
616 Posts
What town in Indiana are you from? Whats the name of the Paint shop?............thanks.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Long gone are the days of "I'll paint any car, any color for $99.95./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The price sounds fair. It sounds like what sets them apart is the quality they strive for. Go for it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
things to consider:
-How long will it take? (add 3 months to that)
-Talk to previous customers (ie. verify the story they told you about re-doing the 1/4)
-what about aligning doors, hood and trunk?
-Price often increases as they go (trick of the trade - get customer comitted with low ball and then easily justify extra costs)
-who pays for glass removal and install?
-get them to do underside, engine bay and trunk as part of the deal.

good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts