Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, right now I've stripped down my car and left the doors on... I know on all of the "frame off" (I know I know, it's not a frame, anyways) restorations, the doors come off...

What I'm wondering, how would I paint with the doors on? Open the doors, paint in the small areas, around the bottoms of the doors, etc?

I have to replace the hinges on both doors (one is missing parts, but opens and closes fine for the most part) the other one has a sprung hinge... Should I just pull the doors off when I paint, so I can make sure the areas get painted good and get the hinges done right, or would it be better to work around the tight areas, leave the hinges on, and replace them one at a time, to maintain as much of the alignment as possible?

In other words, is aligning doors so terrible that you'd rather paint around the doors, than take them off?

·
Registered
933 Posts
You will be better off pulling the doors IMO. You will get a much better paint job on the doors as well as the door jambs with the doors off especially if you are looking to replace some of the hinges. Re-alligning the doors should not be that difficult.

Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
Take em off-trim around them-but shoot the color coat with them on the car. Metallics tend to set as shot so with the doors on the car the results will be more uniform

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yes leave the doors off if possible and paint the door jambs first
and paint some of the outside of the rocker panel and adjacent fenders.

Then clear coat....this way all you have to do is scuff the overspray and keep on shooting the outter panels so that no painting lines are visible....

it will look like you "dipped" the car in a paint bath.

when the doors are off this is the time to paint the inner shell and jambs too.....

make sure and paint around to the door skin.....you can always scuff the dried paint a bit later.

put the doors back on and align them right. (this requires two people to make it easier...one tightens and moves the door whiel another watches.)

once doors are in it is time to scuff and shoot the rest of the exterior.

This way all of the metallic element in the paint is facing the same direction or grain.

WHen shooting clearcoat make sure you hit the rocker area in thin dry coats until it builds up to a shiny surface. But make sure and wait plenty of time before clearcoats so you dont drip.

good luck bud send us some pics of your progress!!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'll chime in El Presidente, since I haven't had a chance to say hi since the corn feed. HI!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you are doing the uni-body frame off like I'm doing, I would advise removing the doors. You probably have the front fenders removed already, so accessing the hinges would be easier. Plus you can jamb paint the windshield and door pillars with everything removed. I've installed and removed and aligned my doors a couple of times already and its actually easier than I thought and even kinda fun. Block your doors up on the bottom when you remove the hinges as to help hold up the door during removal.

After the doors are off, jamb paint the doors and the other areas, plus paint your hinges/bolts. Re-install the hinges, re-mount and align the doors, and then paint the outside of the doors with the rest of the exterior painting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
By all means paint with the doors off it does the best job,because after the smoke clears with painting them on and you don't like the job two things you wasted a bunch of your time and money on materials.With all the rest of the work that has to be done first anyway,A word of precaution put the new hinges on the sprung door reinstall it for fit the door frame it self could be bent as well and you don't want to be trying to fix that after it has shiny new paint on it.Then take it back off paint,let them dry and put them on for the last time.You can install them by your self with the fenders off is the best,I put a blanket on the rockers first install hinges then the doors in the hole. Without the latch pin line up your door gap to the quarter and rocker they are solid then do the fenders to the doors and the hood.I always say if you don't have time to do it right the first time when are you going to have time to redo it.

G

·
0 Posts
We did #1 son's car with the doors, hood, and trunk off. Did all the priming and bodywork ourselves and then towed the car to the paint shop with the four detached parts wrapped in blankets and a bubble carded sheet with all the labeled hardware attached. The owner of the shop had NEVER seen anything like it. The paint job turned out nice but they bitched about having to realign the doors at the shop. Said it took almost as much time as shooting the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts