Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M READY TO GO GET THE CAR PLATES BUT I CAN'T DECIDE IF I WANT TO GO WITH ANTIQUE PLATES OR NOT.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES OF DOING THIS.
I SHOULD MENTION THAT I WILL NOT BE USEING THIS AS MY DAILY DRIVER.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Antique plate I believe cost less, but you are only allowed to put I believe 1,000 miles per year on the car. Depending on how many miles you have your car insured for, this may be a nice option, and you may save a little money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Antique plates...No emissions testing, $18 for two years, there is no mileage limit, but they say you can only use car for parades, shows, to and from repairs, etc. I've talked with other owners before I got mine and they've never been bothered by cops due to plates. As long as you don't use the car daily, I think you would be safe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
whats the first year they start emission testing on the cars? i have a 71 mach 1.. but if i have to go for emissions i am screwed :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Since my truck is not driven daily I went with the antique plates as registration is only $6 a year versus $78 (expect to pay for 2 years as the antique plates are 5 or 6 year plates to renew in 2005 at which time you'll pay for the next 5 or 6 years worth). I can also use original 1968 plates in the bumper as long as the antique plates are inside the vehicle (though I'd trade them out if going out of state). You'll be told at the DMV that you can only drive your vehicle to and from shows or to the mechanic but most cops don't bother with it so it is no big deal. Besides, who's to say you weren't on your way to or from a show or the mechanic at any given moment anyway? ::

·
Registered
165 Posts
well if you are like me and are going to be driving it to school everyday i think they would find something find of fishie :) I mean not many peope go to car sows on a tuesday morning lol

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Yep, it's cheaper, I paid $78.00 4 years ago for mine, althought I don't drive it much. There is a lot of leeway in the definition of "to a demonstration" which is the way the law is worded. I've gone to SCCA autocrosses with Antique plates on my car. I've also never been bothered by the police.
Some insurance companies will not give you Antique car insurance unless you have Antique plates on the car.
And, you can request special numbers/letters. For instance, my 67 Sheby has "67 SHEL B" and my 66 GT coupe has "66 GT CP". So, be creative with it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
There are a couple of things to think about. First thing is that they won't put it on the rollers like they do to the new cars. Second thing is that it has to pass the emissions standards of the year of manufacture which are considerably different than what the current cars are expected to do. I don't believe that any of the first gen mustangs had cats on them. Based on that alone I would assume your car should be able belch out huge puffs of black smoke and probably still pass.

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Folks, let's not confuse the PLATING of the car with the EMISSIONS test. He's got a 65, it's exempt. I'm not sure but Illinois has either a rolling year deadline (meaning about 25 years old or newer, and keeps changing every year) or a standard test deadline (like 1968 and newer)
Plus the standards for a way old car are pretty wide, but you still can fail the test. Spend up to $400 in repairs and then apply for a waiver.

·
Registered
262 Posts
To me, bottom line is cost...$18 for 2 years vs $78 per year. And who knows how much the regular plate cost will go up to cover some of the state's budget shortfall.
As long as it's not driven daily, I'd say AV plates.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I went with the antique option. It's a lot cheaper, and you can put the cool old plates on the car as long as the AV plates are in the car. Got a cool matching set of 1964 Illinois purple plates on ehay!
As long as you aren't driving it everyday in the same places you shouldn't have a problem with the police either.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I disagree with regarding the roller emission testing. The reason why I ended up with antique plates was to get out of the emissions testing. The test center closest to me is in Addison and they insisted that I submit to the roller emission testing. I told them that I would, but only if I operated my car - there was no way I was letting one of those morons drive it! They told me no, and if I didn't like it, they'd fail me and I'll lose my license. I propmptly re-registered my stang as an antique and I haven't had to deal with those a**holes again! I tried to do the right thing by getting it tested and it always passed, but those guys at the testing place sure did make it a difficult proposition. (Sorry about the intensity of my words, but that was a very frustrating day and it might have been a lot worse for many people if my son had not been with me in the car)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I agree that antique plates are probably the best way to go if it is a summer time only car. However if you are driving the car during the winter I think that might raise a flag that the car is not appropriately registered.

They should know that cars manufactured between 1968-1980 only get the idle test. Unfortunately you did have this information available to you. The state of Illinois has published all of the testing information and procedures online. The following link covers the enhanced emissions test http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/enhanced-testing.html

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When I went to get the car tested, I knew that I only needed to pass the idle test. Unfortunatley, the operators of the IEPA testing station were not as well informed and insisted that I must submit to the treadmill testing. I told them that since my vehicle was manufactiured in 1968 I was only subject to the idle testing. It was this point they develpoed an attitude and told me that I had to pass the treadmill test and to exit the vehicle and wait in the waiting room while the test was performed. I politely informed them that nobody but me drives this car and if they want a treadmill test, I would be the one operating the vehicle - not them. I told them, still in a polite manner, that I've got too much time, money, blood and sweat into this vehicle to hand the keys over to somebody that I don't know. The kid then said that I shouldn't worry about it, that they have had far more valuable vehicles than mine, "like Corvettes" tested all the time and nobody has objected yet. I won't go over the rest of the conversation, but suffice to say, it went down hill from there. The bottom line is that I had, and still would, gladly submit my Mustang to emission testing but my experience with the gross incompetence of the IEPA has left me with no reason to trust them with my vehicle and if they knew what you and I know about emission requirements, there wouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts