Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my KYB Gas-Adjusts with some Bilsteins. (front)

Noticed the stance and the drivers side is riding 27" from ground to fender lip. Pasengers side is 26.5". I think it was similar pre-Bilsteins so i'm not sure that is the issue.

Anyone else have this thing going on?

Maybe tire inflation? LOL. Not sure. can't really drive it yet as i'm still messing with my Sniper Tune.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just replaced my KYB Gas-Adjusts with some Bilsteins. (front)

Noticed the stance and the drivers side is riding 27" from ground to fender lip. Pasengers side is 26.5". I think it was similar pre-Bilsteins so i'm not sure that is the issue.

Anyone else have this thing going on?

Maybe tire inflation? LOL. Not sure. can't really drive it yet as i'm still messing with my Sniper Tune.

Thanks
J
I just had a similar issue( there is thread here about it). Mine turned out to be a coil spring that had come out of the top mount.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
In addition to parts not being installed correctly as mentioned, many corner discrepancies are caused by issues on the corner diagonal to it.

Shocks don't affect ride height. As for the .5: difference that's perfect. Many cars are that way on purpose as you generally only have a driver in the car.
This is not necessarily true. Swapping new for new shocks, sure. But I've seen a change in ride height many a time when replacing worn out shocks and struts for new.

I have my 69 a tad higher static on the drivers side, but a half inch is probably a bit high, depending on the driver's weight :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put the car back in the garage. Will have a look @ the spring and UCA as suggested to see if anything is suspect.

FWIW - swapping shocks with the car on the ground is 1000% better than putting the car in the air. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
to eliminate error measure from the center of the spindle to the wheel arch. things like tire PSI want make a difference this way

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Removing gas shocks and puting in passive shocks will effect your ride height. I would put some miles on it and work the suspension real good before doing anything. There is a lot of rubber in a stock system and it may take some time for things to settle to the new ride height. Then start doing some of the stuff folks mentioned. I like the idea of measuring your rears also as you might have a rear spring (or gas shock) that is causing it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Shocks don't affect ride height. As for the .5: difference that's perfect. Many cars are that way on purpose as you generally only have a driver in the car.
I don't agree with any of this. I've changed several cars from stock shocks to "gas" shocks and noticed the car sits slightly higher when parked. Don't know if it actually "rides" higher when being driven. I've read many factory manuals and never seen a spec, part or procedure to make the driver side higher "on purpose". If I bought a new car and the side to side stance was not equal I would ask to have it fixed

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is and was common practice at the factory level to usually have a stiffer spring on the front drivers side to compensate for the fact that there is typically only one person in a car. This is all done at the factory level. The aftermarket doesn't care and springs are all the same to them. Just like the tires on a new car may be the same name as ones you buy at the tire store but it is not the same tire. There are versions made specifically for the factory. If you dig through all the codes on a tire it will tell the story.

Shocks are not load supporting devices on a car. New gas shocks might have a tiny temporary impact but not a long lasting one. You learn this early on when you go to school to be an auto tech. I used to have my ASE master +L1 back when I was a tech. Most of my relatives were involved in the auto industry as well from chrysler to ford to suppliers in Detroit and you learn allot from them as well.

There is whole lot of stuff that is standard practice in building cars the no you won't find it in the documentation because where would it end? Now if we were paying massive amounts of $ for a car and buying it like an airplane then yeah every little oddity that is built into is would be in the documentation that you receive when you buy the car. Things like why does one replacement part cover dozens of OE part numbers. It's because at the factory level they are different but in the aftermarket one size fits all cause it's close enough.
I wish there was allot more of this information available but they are building a product and they really don't have a reason to tell everyone what engineering decisions and oddities they do. It's on the design/engineering end and they do it and go on no need to tell anyone.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,400 Posts
Long ago I had a leaking rear shock on wife's Fox. I bought some new shocks and didn't notice they were "high pressure" versions until I put them on and then realized the wheel well lip was now an inch higher off the tire than it was before. Rode like crap but the more I looked at the new more slightly raked stance the more I liked it. I figured it would "settle" after a while. Been ten years now and we still have that extra inch in the rear even though people keep wanting to tell me gas shocks don't/can't do that.

Reactions: 1ofAMillion+

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
After my drop I had to push down on the car to fit the KYB GAJ shocks in place. After I blew out the shock seal (twice on passenger side actually) it rode higher on that side. F the warranty, they went to the garbage!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts