Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New electronic dizzy, new optimum Battery, new voltage regulator, new alt, hell I don't know what else to change. Starts and runs fine cold, when it get to good operating temp it shuts off. It acts like the battery is dead, hard to turn over. After it cools for a while, it starts up great. Temp gage says everything is fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My big block was shutting off in traffic and then crank for a while and then start. I changed to pertronics and a new coil, so far seems to be okay.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
So you have two problems?

1. Car runs for a while then shuts off

2. Hard starting when hot

For the first one, having the idle to high can cause that, timing to advanced can also contribute.

For the second one, sounds like your starter is getting heat soaked, you might try backing your timing off just a bit and see if that help lessen the load on the starter during start up (might fix both problems)

·
Registered
245 Posts
The problem could be in the ignition coil. And for the starter you might need to check the ground connection of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the prob, it's either the volt regulator or the connection. I can unhook the harness and jump pins A & F and the car stays running. I'm starting not to like these electric fuel pumps, they draw alot of power and are noisy as hell!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.