Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: When I start moving from a complete stop, there is a shaking coming from the rear of the car. It feels like it starts at the rear diff and goes all the way through the clutch (I feel it in the shifter as well). The shake goes away as soon as I let the clutch out completely. Basically it happens as I am slowly releasing the clutch to roll out of the stop and it starts to engage and then stops once I start moving.

Setup: toploader 4 speed, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, stock driveshaft, rebuilt ford 9" rear end with 3.50 gears and trutrac, rear sway bar, 4.5 mid-eye grab a trak springs, delalum bushings, classic red koni shocks (one half turn from soft), traction masters traction bars, 245/60R15 tires.

This is something that started once I put on the new rear suspension and trutrac. I thought I was getting wheel hop with the new leafs and bigger tires so I installed Traction Masters (which look awesome), but it is still happening. The only other thing I can think of is that the lowering of the car messed with the driveshaft angle, but is there something else I might be missing?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Google "clutch chatter"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google "clutch chatter"
The clutch itself is new with less than 2000 miles on it. I'm not saying that it can't be it, but I am going to chase other things before I rule that out. But looking at the causes for clutch chatter, I see that driveshaft angle or worn bearings can play a part of that. I am still wondering if my new tires have uncovered something with the driveshaft.

Also, I've noticed my new rear disc brake system (SSBC A111-2) is binding up. I wonder if that is preventing the wheels from moving from a start that is creating everything else to start shaking until that friction is overcome and the car starts rolling?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ditto on the clutch chatter or broken motor mount. I had a Centerforce diaphragm die on me after only 5 or 6000 miles. No more CF's for me! Wind it up and slip the clutch to clean it up. See if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Check for clutch and flywheel glazing by revving engine more than it needs and slowly release the clutch (yes this will also cause glazing when done too much). If it will take off a lot smoother than at low RPM my experience sez its in the clutch/flywheel.
With a broken motor mount I have seen the engine raise and lower noticeably or the shifter handle to move many inches to the side on acceleration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check the motor/transmission mounts
Check your leaf-spring bushings
Research "clutch chatter" as everyone else is saying.

If the problem has existed since installing the clutch, it's probably chatter. If it just started, my guess is it's something else.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the driveshaft to my local shop and it was too short and had worn U-joints. Which some things I have seen for clutch chatter say this could be a definite cause. Got everything taken care of and going to install it back in the car tonight to see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Took the driveshaft to my local shop and it was too short and had worn U-joints. Which some things I have seen for clutch chatter say this could be a definite cause. Got everything taken care of and going to install it back in the car tonight to see if that fixes the issue.
I say the above is a long shot, but best of luck.

More on clutch chatter: Although you have a new clutch, if it is misaligned, or especially if it is dirty (say, from an oil leak above), then even a new clutch will have clutch chatter symptoms. Best of luck! :yoho:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts