Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes you simply cringe at the site of when you click on a Ebay car? :p INCLUDING THE DESCRIPTION. No matter what kind of car it is, the good old hacked top with a sunroof really makes me drop the car like a hot potato. Thats for starters. ;)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Parts Racks!!!!

NOT!!! ;) :p

Just idiots that try to claim something is obviously not what it is, or use Shelby, Cobra Jet, or similar in the discription just to get a hit when it is a common item.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,684 Posts
I am not an English teacher, but poor grammar detracts from the intended message for me. A simple example describing a project car as "Needs restored..." appears often in ebay descriptions.

Is there something difficult about "Needs restoration..." or "Needs to be restored..." that prevents some sellers from correcting their ad copy when proof reading for proper grammar? This presumes that some sellers actually proof read their ads before hitting the "Enter" key!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A Mustang with a "frame off" restoration.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
In reply to Jefftepper It would only help you to proof read it if you knew what proper grammer was.
The one that gets me is when the ad states that everything has been replaced. What is everything and what was it replaced with? As far as I am concerned just state the facts that you know and be honest. Some people are very good at writing a story and others are not. If you are interested in there car you can weed through it.
Al

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
JeffTepper said:
Is there something difficult about "Needs restoration..." or "Needs to be restored..." that prevents some sellers from correcting their ad copy when proof reading for proper grammar?
What? That's good old shortened speak from old school classified ads where you pay by letter ;) Old habits are to kick.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
JeffTepper said:
I am not an English teacher, but poor grammar detracts from the intended message for me. A simple example describing a project car as "Needs restored..." appears often in ebay descriptions.

Is there something difficult about "Needs restoration..." or "Needs to be restored..." that prevents some sellers from correcting their ad copy when proof reading for proper grammar? This presumes that some sellers actually proof read their ads before hitting the "Enter" key!
+1,000!!!

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
JeffTepper said:
"Needs restored..."
Yes, that one gets me every time, along with "needs painted", "needs rebuilt", "needs repaired" etc...

Let me see here, more pet peeves....

"WOW LQQK!"..... self explanatory
"100% original, all restored"....so, is it original or fully restored?
"RARE"....

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
"45K original miles" on a rust-bucket-wasted-interior-not-even-good-as-a-dog-coupe-flower-planter.
I guess they think the odometer just stops at 99999.9. My other favorite is Hipo(HiPro) 5.0L/302. You go junior. Just because you slap an Edelbrock Performer with a bleeding gas Holley on a wore out junkyard block with the prerequisite oil pool on the timing chain cover top does not give you the right to claim that lineage. We all know that there is far better equipment available now than back in the day, but you don't soil a legend with your oil burning mismatched pile of parts that can't even carry a tune. When I was hunting for my car, I found an advertisement offering up a dark blue, 4 speed K-code convertible. Damn. All three of my desires and a K code to boot. K was the color (Nightmist Blue). He knew. He was just trying to be a shyster. After he got the title straightened out (tried title jumping) I bought the car for a reasonable price. Willful misrepresentation will always piss me off. You'd probably get the same response from any victim of goodnewsgospel as well.
[/soapbox]
Where the hell is my beer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts