Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan for our car show.......the most northern car show in Saskatchewan.
I am wanting to hear from people that have had BAD EXPERIENCES at car shows. Not the time your wheel fell off, or the time you car exploded. I want to know what kind of lack of planning or oversites by the organisers made your trip to the show a bad one.
not enough room...
poor location....
poorly promoted..

Shaune

the older i get.....the less tolerant i become

67 GTA 390 F/B underconstruction
79 F100 very rusty but mine
92 grand caravan...family wheels

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Having no Porta-Potties is a bad move.
Having a variety of sodas/water, or drinking fountains help.
Plenty of trash cans
Don't put cars in standard sized spaces...two cars/3 spaces is about right.
Have a big tent for shade/relief from rain

Free beer and pizza is good, too!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Pay particular attention to the order (priority) Midlife gave. I agree with him, beer 1st. I can drink beer w/o pizza but cannot eat pizza w/o beer!

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I find that at most shows there is little or no activity for people to participate in. Most spectators, as well as entrants, will get bored after 3 hours of looking at cars. For example, my wife always attends shows with me..but I can see after several hours she is totally bored..as are most people unless they are truly diehard Mustangers. She has often expressed an opinion about something else to do..maybe a little swap meet or flea market..just something to divert those less then fanatical.

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The very worst for us was last year when Lakeline Mall in Austin decided three days before the show that they could not spare the spaces after all. Just called us and dropped the bomb! We ended up negotiating another spot that wasn't nearly as good, but they were real jerks about. Bad time!! I have forbidden my family to go shopping there.

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Midlife's points are well thought out, as are Teebone's.

This past weekend at the Pensacola show there could have been more activities for the non-auto fiends, as well as port-o-potties and a food vendor. But because it was in a mall parking lot you had access to a food court, their restrooms, and all the activities (shopping) a spouse might desire. Ask Bishir - his wife shopped during the entire show! Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
All of the afore mentioned items,plus promotion. Nobody is
gonna come if they don't know about it, get it on tv, a website,
posters, car rags, anything you can think of with CLEAR
dates, times and locations. And if you do the "call for details"
make sure there's somebody there to answer and give info.
Good luck.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Registered
330 Posts
The best car show I have ever attended is in Newport,Ky.
They close down about a 10 block straight section of street which is loaded with little restaraunts,junk shops,and pubs.
They also combine it with the state wide chili cook-off with the winner going on to compete in the nationals. (beer & chili...what a great combo for the flamethrowing competitions)
They also have exhibitions,live music and lots off stuff for the kids to do.
Also, all proceeds go to the local boys and girls clubs which provide afterschool activities for kids who would otherwise be standin' on the corner.
All in all it is a well attended, well run,well organized event that could serve as a model for other shows.
All the hard work is provided by a lot of volunteers from local business and police departments,even the police enter thier D.A.R.E. cars.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Something else for the ladies like Teebone suggested would be a lifesaver for most of us /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I also think you should have fun things like burnout contests and a smash a chevy booth. You can get a 300 dollar chevette and charge people a buck a swing. 5 bucks for glass! I would even consider a Car Clinic where various tech people give seminars. BTW, the worst shows are the ones with the DJ who BLASTS the music so loud you can't hear yourself thinking. A band is always nice if you can afford it. Back home in Indiana, they had a 50's band called Eddy and the Crusers play at our local car show. Folks seemed to like it. Also I'd be more willing to participate in a show that had a cruze afterwards.

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts