Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most show goers know one can judge Mustangs by MCA rules but folks attending your show may not want to be judged by this standard and rather have popular votes determine the winner. At a recent show our club decided to conduct popular vote judging but to keep a block of voters from selecting their cars as winners, we did the following: categories were established (24 categories). Lottery balls were numbered with the same 24 categories then placed in a fish bowl. Judging sheets were made to match up with the categories. When an entrant registered his car, he was allowed to fish five balls out of the fish bowl. He was also given a judging sheet highlighting the five categories drawn from the fish bowl. These were the only categories he was allowed to vote for. One vote for each marked category. Note this meant there were 19 categories he couldn't vote for. The five balls drawn in the lottery were then deposted in another fish bowl. The next entrant drew his five, and so on until all the balls were drawn from the first fish bowl. In this manner all categories get someone's vote. When all balls were drawn and deposted in the second fish bowl, the balls were recycled and the process repeated. The net result is votes were spread fairly uniformly among the cars with the best cars getting the most votes. Everyone liked the idea because it killed any attempt to pad voting in favor of certain cars or certain people. Perhaps many of you do this already but it was a first time for our club and it worked out wonderfully. We plan to continue this practice for all open car shows. We plan to continue with MCA judging but only for Mustang classes.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Certainly sounds a whole lot better than popular vote. I've adopted CT's philosophy on popular vote that I may attend them in the future to hang out with the guys, but I'll just enter display only. Another upside of this is you can leave early!

I think it's great to get some pats on the back for your car from people at the show if they vote for your car in a popular vote. However, I've never really understood why people get so peeved when they don't win nor why they work so hard to win in terms of soliciting all of their friends votes, etc. I have plenty of knick-knacks in my garage and basement already, more cheap plastic trophies isn't something I wanna work real hard for.

I will admit I did get kinda peeved at the Lincoln show, but that was becuase I didn't understand enough to make sure I was in the class I thought I was in. I learned the difference at that show between 'street driven' and 'street driven concours' (I wanted to be in the concours thing so I could get a checklist). Oops.

I would participate in something like you mentioned though, it sounds like more fun - makes me go look at particular cars closely too... sometimes they all start blending together (particularly the late model ones)...

-bob

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
There is a local Mustang club that exempts their members from receiving an award. I kinda like that, because I've heard of another regional club that kind of makes sure they only vote for their own.
Another way of preventing this is to exempt people entered in class "X" from voting for class "X" cars.
The system mentioned is probably pretty good too, but don't ask me to judge 2-5 year old cars, 'cause I don't get it.
One other thing: car owners need to go look at the other entrants and give themselves a REAL opinion on whether the correct cars are better than theirs or not. I always go do that and often not disapointed with the results.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a local Mustang club that exempts their members from receiving an award. I kinda like that, because I've heard of another regional club that kind of makes sure they only vote for their own.
Another way of preventing this is to exempt people entered in class "X" from voting for class "X" cars.
The system mentioned is probably pretty good too, but don't ask me to judge 2-5 year old cars, 'cause I don't get it.
One other thing: car owners need to go look at the other entrants and give themselves a REAL opinion on whether the correct cars are better than theirs or not. I always go do that and often not disapointed with the results.
Exempting members from receiving awards makes no sense to me however I agree judges should not be permitted to judge classes in which they're entered in.

There's nothing wrong with judging late model cars but only for condition and cleanliness. Late model entrants are entitled to the same consideration as classic cars since they pay their entrance fee. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to compete in the same classes as classic cars.

I made my comment as a suggestion only. No system is likely to be devised that is totally fair. Its just that entrants expect the system used to be as fair as possible. IMO, the method suggested is fairer than a straight popular vote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts