Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Yellow Rose this past weekend..and got to hear BWCobra spin some "approved" tunes and do announcements...we even coaxed him to spin a few "non-approved" tunes. But I have to say, after spending a few hours at the show listening to 50's hot rod music my ears started to bleed a bit. Why in god's name do the organizers of these shows choose to play 50's and maybe a bit of early 60's if your lucky music. The Yellow Rose did have earlier model cars, so I can see throwing in a few old tunes...but for the true mustang shows why the HELL ARE WE PLAYING MUSIC MADE BEFORE THE CARS WERE EVEN THOUGHT OF!
Late 60's people...early 70's...lets here some Beatles, Stones, The Who....I mean break out and play "Magic Carpet Ride" or something.....and how about "Radar Love"...an ultimate driving song if I ever heard one..just anything but Mustang Sally...please anything but Mustang Sally over and over and over again ad nausem. I mean I'm down here in Texas and I expect to hear a little southern rock damn it! If they would play Skynerd's "Free Bird" and dim the lights I'm sure there would be a reverent pause and everyone would hold up lighters...it would be so cool...but nooooo....we need to hear "Little Duce Coupe" 10 times...arrrrrggghhhhh
I mean there's nothing wrong with a little Beach Boys from time to time....but give us some variety....anything...even disco if you have to....(if your're going to play disco make sure to play "Boogie Nights" and "Boogie Ooogie Ooogie"..I mean play some funky music you white boys...or throw on some Motown for gods sake...Aretha Franklin..."You better think...think about what your're trying to do to me yeah THINK"...or Diana Ross and the Supremes... And there were quite a few late model cars at the show so throw a little 90's out there for good measure...
Or how about a country song or two...some old Alabama, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith...whoop out "the Angry American" ....that should get the ******** whoopin...or how about "I wanna talk about me, I wanna talk about I wanna talk about number 1 oh my me my..."

Now that I can relate to... ::

·
Registered
384 Posts
I totally agree. Jim Morrison liked Shelbys. Deep Purple did "Highway Star." Muscle cars were born in the 60's but grew up in the 70's with Aerosmith, Zep, Kiss, Foghat, etc.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree with you on this one. I went to a show last weekend and it was the same thing. Don't get me wrong I like the music but but playing the same 10 songs over and over gets old...throw in a little more contemporary music now and again would be nice.

Something else I have noticed at the last couple of shows I have been to is that they play it incredibly loud. So much so you could barely carry on a conversation and forget about going near the organizers table where the system was set up. I like loud music but this was rediculous.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Highway star is a great tune!!!

Have to agree......never did understand why they play music suited to fogeys so old theyve forgotten how to drive safely!!!

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
For our Regional MCA show next March, I've requested our DJ to play a number one song from the week of April 17th, 1964-1973, in order, throughout the show and to announce each special selection. I also always request a good mixture of late 50s through 70s music, with an emphasis on the Mustang years, along with a healthy sprinkling of country tunes. Since our show also has all years of Fords, I don't want to eliminate the 50s and early 60s tunes.

We've never had a complaint at our show other than the speakers being too loud and I've taken care of that problem, too. Just park the T-birds further away from the speakers (older crowd) and put the modified cars there (engines drown out music). ::

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention Grand Funk Railroad and Mountain. Remember Mississippi Queen on Vanishing Point?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm in total agreement on selection and volume. I'm a younger guy and can appreciate the oldies, but at least some 60's and 70's and even 80's music would be nice (hey, those'82 and '83 GTs are classics now after all). Seems like they could realize that not only senior citizens visit these events. I think it has a lot do with finding a decent DJ too. Good local DJ talent is usually tough to come by.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
what about some staind? papa roach ? taproot?...linkin park ? haha

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mississippi Queen....I know what you mean....

Like I said, I have nothing against the old stuff...but it does sound like you have a good idea going their Laurie.

As for the linkin park, staind, etc...you could play Rob Zombie real loud but you would have to have an ambulance nearby for the cardiacs the old farts would have...all except for Midlife...heard he was is a rough rider from way back and loves DMX....

·
Registered
384 Posts
I can't listen to new stuff in my 69. It has to be date coded to within five years of 1969. ::

Now with the 01, that's a different story. As long as it rocks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Well, if youre gonna mention the new stuff...

How about Disturbed, Metallica's first 15 years, Static-X, COC, BLS, Ozzy (who, BTW, deserves nothing but appreciation and respect regardless of his faults....he has entertained MILLIONS of us!!).

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,382 Posts
Excellent plan! I can deal with almost any music as long as I know something different is coming after it. You can't please everybody, but keeping away from a single genre is great. I tend to enjoy White Zombie and Motorhead while driving but wouldn't force it on anyone. Well OK, I make the kids to listen when they ride with me. Hey, I gotta put up with boom-thump coming from their rooms all the time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This very thing has been a sore spot with me for awhile.
The local Mustang show plays the same old "American Graffiti" music through cheap horn speakers. Hey, I love the movie.. but, this is Mustangs. Yeah, "American Graffiti" is about cruising in a car. "Taxi Driver" is about cruising in a car, that doesn't make it the right music for a Mustang show. I also feel that the music should reflect the era of the car. The Doors,Who,Stones,Beatles,Turtles,Animals,Zombies and MC5. I had a 67 Fastback when I was in high scool and listened to lots of Nugent,Aerosmith, Van Halen, and ZZTOP on 8-TRACK. Definitely "Dazed and Confused" soundtrack material. I was at the Yellow Rose and while not all of the music played were my favorites, there was for the most part a variety. I did catch "Psychotic Reaction" which is the first time I ever heard any 60's non-mainstream music at a show. I think I heard some of the other songs from the "Nuggets" boxset.
I thought that was cool. I have been trying to put together a collection of 60's rock for a Mp3 changer for the '66. With most of the songs being in the two minute range it looks like about 230+ songs per Mp3 disc. Sorry for the long post, this thing has been festering for about 4 years and I just had to get it out.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Man..... I can't believe we all agree on this and nothing changes. Here in the wrinkle state (Fl.) ...we hear nothing but......"who put the bop in the bop shu bop" at ALL shows here. I will die on the spot..... when I hear some Dark Side of the Moon, Zeppelin or "Radar Love" at one. MAN IT KILLS ME!!!! I feel so sorry for the late model guys, I mean.. how uninviting is that to new Mustangers who grew up listening to 80s and 90s music. I am going to have to start wearing headphones at the shows :(
Oh well....maybe in 30 more years, they'll play our types of music.
Dave

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Ehh, guys. Aren't showing a bit of age here. We demand newer music and then ask Who, "Radar love", Foghat, ZZ Top (which I saw a month ago as a support act to Stones gig in Finland). Our favourites are 20-30 yr old. And not to depart from the group I add to demand list Fabulous T-birds.

Are there any car songs made in 90ies or this century??

Rhino Records' 4cd car song collection would be good source for any car show dj. And the set comes complete with furry dice!

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
How about the BOSS! Baaaaby weeee were bornnnn to runnn.

Or James Brown, I'm Super Baaad.

You want music, get placed up front (for whatever reason) under the 2 main speakers....WHAT???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just wait as the bop shoo bop people die off, they will be playing the "newer" music from 60's and 70's for us old people. And then there will be lots of people complaing asking for oldies from the 80's, you know U2, Clash and the Cars. It is when they start playing Spandau Ballet that I will stop going to car shows.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts