Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to our first mustang only show this Sunday. My second show, ever.

What are the most important judging details you look for. What should I be sure to not overlook when preparing my car for the show. This is a driven car (2-4x per week Spring-Fall), not concourse.

Thanks for you input

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Driven or not, it has to be clean! No bugs in the radiator, even if the hood isn't up. The car should not have anything inside (i.e., don't leave your cleaning materials in the trunk with the deck lid up, nothing in the interior, etc.). Don't leave your cleaning materials too close to the back either, make sure that you can walk all the way around the car. Look at what the other guys are doing in your class. Is the hood up or down, trunk open or not, etc.

G

·
Whatever you do, expect it not to be enough, I spent 10 hours on my interior, finishing with a pair of tweezers, still considered dirty. Mine is concours unrestored, they look everywhere & it needs to be spotless. Inside of tires, glove box... When they come to judge, stand away & if they have questions... they'll find you. They told me to re-clamp my fuel lines & spent 20 minutes opening & closing my doors... smiling the whole time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
Clean, clean and then clean again. It never ends.
Have an open mind and ask questions (not while the judges are judging.) Definately don't let the judges get you flustered. Most judges are very good. However, there is that rare exception. Just enjoy the experience and learn what you can. Once you get to the shows you can't do a lot to make your car "better." Learn what you can and even take notes so you'll know what to work on when you get home. I've been to about half a dozen judged shows now and still generate a list of to dos during every show. It never ends.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Clean, clean, and clean. When you're done, clean some more.

Don't make a mess at the show site either. One of my pet peeves is greasy spots on the pavement from tire dressing! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Also, if you want to learn more about what to do, and they ask for volunteers to judge (you can't judge your own class), go help. This is where you learn the most about how to clean your own car. You can see exactly what other judges look for. By the way, where is this show?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Unless you're in a trailered concours class, and it doesn't sound like you are, develop the attitude that you have brought the car for others to enjoy and admire. While you're interested in others' opinions, it shouldn't change your life. Are YOU happy with the car? Then relax and enjoy. (After CLEANING EVERYTHING!)

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
Exactly what the others said, make sure it's clean inside and out, and don't forget the bugs in the radiator. A good product to use to give your car a shine once you're parked in place is Meguiar's Quick Mist Detailing spray. Easy to use, and works great.

Be available for the judges, but don't get in their way. When they're done, if you have questions, ask them.

Bring a chair, sunscreen, a cooler with drinks and food, and maybe a shade umbrella, if the show allows them.

Above all, don't lean one of those stupid stuffed dolls against your bumper! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, definitely avoid those hideous armor-all puddles! Something else you may want to do is ask for your judging sheet once the event is over. Most clubs will gladly give it to you or mail it later. This will help you determine what areas of the car need attention. Good luck at the show and have fun!

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the doll tip. I guess I'll just leave the legs hanging out out of my closed trunk, as my wife suggested.

Do you think it would be OK to bring a couch or a couple lay-z-boys?

G

·
I'd leave the dolls & fluff at home. I usually take 2 folding chairs, a folding table, an umbrella, & an ice chest for water & pop. I retreat when I'm being judged to a place 2 or 3 cars down. Spend the rest of the time looking & in the motorhome's AC. I get a ton of questions/remarks at the shows so I stay close to feed the old ego /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Be polite when people ask about your ride, everyone isn't as smart as us /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Wait until someone tells you A) Those mirri\ors are NOT original(they're in the book) & B) Standard interior cars ALL had single speed wipers(the original window stickers on the car show it as an order). Patience grasshopper. You'll have fun!

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
Only if you take pictures! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
As the others said, clean, clean, clean. Pay special attention to the glass. To me, nothing detracts more from an otherwise nice car than streaky glass.

G

·
A good product to use on the entire painted surface is 3M Imperial Hand glaze which goes on and comes off like liquid wax but does take a bit more buffing. This stuff is magical and will reduce the appearance of small scratches and completely hide many as well. Point all your wheel center caps and raised white letters in the same direction (if you have either). As others have mentioned, be very anal about cleaning everything. As the saying goes," the devil is in the details" and when it comes to car shows this is very, very true. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Wait! Rotate you tires individually to line up the white letters? What would you do, jack the car up to rotate each tire? I can't believe that most judges would even notice the direction of your tire lettering. I can say that I went through Drill Instructor School at Ft. Ord back in 1970 and I don't think inspections there (which were fairly "rigorous") were any more intimidating than the first judged show I entered. I usually stash the cleaning materials, etc. under the back of the car. Shove it far enough under to not be obvious from above. Oh yeah, don't forget to line up those white letters and remain at parade rest during the entire judging.

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
You bet! We use a small bottle jack to do each tire individually. It's more noticeable with my friend's GTCS because he has wire wheelcovers. However, it also looks good on my coupe. We now have a small floor jack to use for this purpose (door prize at the last show). The judges may not necessarily notice, or even care, but it does make your car look just that much sharper.

BTW, if you're in concours, don't put your cleaning materials under the car as the judges need to get there. I put them under my chair in a small crate.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
In my earlier car shows, I'd put a note on the judging sheets to "please leave notes" so you know exactly what the judges find wrong. Then use that to improve for the next show. Often, you know what is wrong. For instance, I have one non-Carlite door glass. It's no surprice when they find it. (A correct one is going in soon) One other thing, the judges can be wrong once in a while, for instance, I went through a period where I was getting pointed for NOT having the 67 Big block heater motor guard. Yes, I did see some GT 350's with it but since I owned my car since 1971 I'm not putting on what was never there. Another thing is the 67's did not have the caution sticker on the Rad. fan shroud, 68's did. Occationally I get tagged for that.
If you drive you car at all, it's extemly difficult to keep it totally clean. Go look at the winning cars. They often have that brand new just home from the dealer sheen to them that is hard to duplicate. But that's what to shoot for.
Keep back away from your car and smile. If a judge has a question, he'll find you.
Follow the rules, some shows want the trunk empty, no signs, nothing that the car wasn't delivered with on it. Well after the judges are through, then you can put the sign, etc out.
One last thing. I've got a 67' GT 350 with repop Speedway's on it. For years, I've jack the car up, put the big ol' "Goodyear" at the top of the wheel well just for looks. Of course, the Snake in the center cap is "heads up" to, and the tire valve is at the bottom, all aligned with the Goodyear winged foot at the top. I just love the way it looks. I also put a section of carpet up each tire just for looks, and at the end of the show, tose carpets are the first thing in the trung to protect the NOS trunk mat.

G

·
Yes sir. Jack each side of the car up and rotate tires. Also, when you wipe down tires don't forget the tread areas. Keep in mind this competition and anything you can do for your car to make the best statement will not go unnoticed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts