Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I went out to the car,,, the power wire to the choke isn't even connected. I pulled the throttle and the choke closed,, wasn't really a click it was slow but it closed

·
Registered
331 Posts
Try hooking up the wire or as I mentioned earlier, just wire tie the choke to the open position to verify your issue. But for sure, the choke will not open as it warms up with the wire unhooked...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok hooked the wire back up. Last time i opened the throttle and set the choke the carb would close all the way. Today I opened the throttle and adjusted the fast idle screw on the passengers side of the car. before it was idleing at 900rpm according to the holley website it should idle at around 1500 on startup until it is warm then step down to 900. Now I cant even get it turn over. I rotated the little black cap (thermostat on the electric choke). I also cannot get the choke to stay closed now. I am assuming that is because of all the startup attempts it may be slightly warm. Holleys are sooooooooo frustrating mostly because i dont know what I am doing;);););):mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
When it shuts down, does everything go off?... dash lights, radio, headlights... everything electrical?... And when you say "it won't turn over", does that mean: when you turn the key, nothing happens?
If that's the case, it's the ignition switch, or a loose connection on the back of it. That's a very dangerous issue that could result in a fire under the dash.
I had a similar issue back in 2005. I was out for a leisurely drive (65 miles from home) when the car just died. Turned the key... nuthin'. I reached under the dash and wiggled the wires behind the ignition switch, turned the key again, and it started right up.
I was advised by my good friend RayCFE of the potential campfire and changed the ignition switch. His warning was "BIG SMOKE". I understood the urgency. PLEASE do the same. Cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had a similar issue but it would turn off at random and started to get worse, I would lose power to everything but I noticed if I barely touched my key on the ignition switch everything would power back on. Swapped out the ignition switch and didn't turn off after that.
When it shuts down, does everything go off?... dash lights, radio, headlights... everything electrical?... And when you say "it won't turn over", does that mean: when you turn the key, nothing happens?
If that's the case, it's the ignition switch, or a loose connection on the back of it. That's a very dangerous issue that could result in a fire under the dash.
I had a similar issue back in 2005. I was out for a leisurely drive (65 miles from home) when the car just died. Turned the key... nuthin'. I reached under the dash and wiggled the wires behind the ignition switch, turned the key again, and it started right up.
I was advised by my good friend RayCFE of the potential campfire and changed the ignition switch. His warning was "BIG SMOKE". I understood the urgency. PLEASE do the same. Cheap and easy fix.
^ I had this issue! it would randomly shut off at random while driving, at a stop and on the highway hot or cold. then I noticed that it would power back on after I would barely touch the key in the ignition. Realized it was the ignition switch and swapped it out, solved my issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
my electronics arent hooked up I only drive around the block in my residential neighborhood. i think its a carb issue. when Im driving if i come to a stop it bogs down and dies. I turn the key again and it struggles but if i floor the gas or give it a minute or two it will start up and drive.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts