Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My new '67 GT seems to be idling a but too high...about 1300. I tried to drop it down today and the car started and I pulled out of the garage but whe I went to open the door to get out, the interior lights came on and the car stalled. Same thing happened when I got it back running and put the headlights on. I had to pump the idle back up to keep it running with the lights on.
Alternator? Voltage regulator? Get rid of the ballast resistor?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

·
4,128 Posts
Cool multiple choice question. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
A) Alternator
B) Voltage regulator
C) Get rid of the ballast resistor
D) Battery (I added that one)
E) none of the above

I choose D /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

All kidding aside check the battery. fd

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the charging system checked at Sears last wkend and they said the battery and alt. seemed fine...under a load it was putting out about 13.5V.

Mike

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Ignition coil, anyone?

G

·
0 Posts
Haha, the subject title gave me a good laugh! Typical FORD /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car does have a new Flamethrower coil and Petronix.

Mike

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Take me too lunch, I'ff fix it for you. *LOL*

Sounds like something is loose to me. Ignition switch maybe. Is the electronic ingnition hooked up to 12v?

Seriously, bring it by an we'll put it to some volt tests and see what shakes out.

J. Boggs.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this might be the case...is there a way to determine if I still have the resistor wire in the factory harness by looking at it or doing some testing?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Turn the key to ON, and measure the voltage from the input side of the coil to ground. You may have to bump the dizzy a bit. If the reading is about 12V, you have no ballast resistor wire. If it is about 6-9V, you do.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Midlife,

Thanks for the info. Now I have to get a voltage testor!! When I moved out and south all of "dad's" tools/toys stayed that the house! Will be nice when they move close by in a few wks!

BTW, that pic in your signature is great!!

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts