Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car starts when transmission shifter is wiggled in Park or put it in Neutral. The tranny was just rebuilt.
We took apart the shifter - should there be a spring in there? We put in a rubber spacer but it still wiggles a bit and we have to move it to the right to get it to start in Park.
Is there a way to fix this?? I was thinking I should buy the $9 kit I saw in a catalog - I don't think the tranny shop put all of the pieces back in the shifter. I could be wrong, I know almost nothing about engines & transmissions. By this weekend I will know A LOT more LOL!

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
The tranny shop robaly didn't even touch the shifter, they just undid the linkage from the transmission shift arm.

Get the $9 rebuild kit from a Mustang shop. It'll fix the "wiggle" and help with the starting. While you're at it, if you don't have a Ford shop manual, you might consider getting one at the same time. A huge source of information with diagrams, pictures and service procedures.

After you get your shifter rebuilt, if you still have to wiggle it to get it to start, then your neutral safety switch needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What Hemikiller said,its either a dodgey neutral safety switch or it just needs adjusting.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Hemikiller said,its either a dodgey neutral safety switch or it just needs adjusting.
What does that mean? Is that something I can fix myself??

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's something you can adjust but you need to go under the car to do it. The neutral start/safety switch is attached to the driver side of the trans. Shop manuals are invaluable for these kinds of procedures. If you don't have one in your library yet, seeriously consider getting one. It will give you a 'by the numbers' procedure for the adjustment.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you can wiggle the shifter side to side, the shifter bushings are shot. Yes, you can order the $9 kit, or you can go to your local parts store and get the bushings for $2. They are the same bushings used in the brake pedal (where they pivot on the pedal hanger) and the brake pedal switch. You'll find them in the "Help-U" section at Kragen's.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts