Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On Friday I posted how my car wouldn't start. I popped in a new starter and the car started fine, but when I revved I heard it chew up the new starter.

So, I grabbed *another* starter and a new starter solenoid.
I turn my key and nothing...i hear a click. Then all of a sudden the car starts on its own and it wont shut off. I run out and disconnect the negative battery cable to stop the engine.

I'm not exactly sure what happened next, but i either dropped the neg cable onto the neg post or the pos. cable onto the pos. post, and the car started on its own.

What's going on here?? I really have no idea what to do next, but the idea of having to install another starter is making me feel sick. Did I install the solenoid wrong? Is something wrong with the ignition?

Did I harm the car at all with the huge spark I created?

Any and all help is very, very, very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sounds like the starter solenoid isnt releasing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I just get another solenoid and try it again?

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
Try making sure the small wires on the solenoid that go to the I and S terminals are on the right ones. I can't remember the colors, but you should have continuity between the coil + terminal and the wire that goes to the I terminal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by continuity? (Sorry, I'm a newbie)
I checked the wires and they are pretty much the same color. ::
Should I switch the I and S wires and try again? Did I fry anything when I created that huge spark? I kind of melted the battery terminals...

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
You can test the I wire with a test light. Disconnect both small wires from the solenoid. Hook up the battery terminals. STOP! If the motor cranks you have a bad starter solenoid. Let's assume everything is quiet so far. Turn the key to the ON position. Connect the ground clamp of your test light to a good ground (battery - works fine) and probe the small wires. The wire that goes to the I terminal should light, the other should not. The other wire SHOULD light though when the key is turned to the START position. If you had the wires hooked up correctly then you have bigger problems! Good luck.

PS, if you are brave, you can switch the wires and try that. Just be ready to pull the cable again!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a plan...I'll try that tomorrow.

When I connect the battery cables, am I at danger if I create another spark like before? :: From the looks of how I melted the battery posts I'm thinking I need to get some kind of protection before i do this again.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Does anyone but me think that their leg is being pulled?
Do you think that you can duplicate this scenerio?
If this person isn't more adept than this he needs to learn from watching someone else do it. Sounds more like a 3 stooges routine to me. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to dissapoint, this is no 3 stooges scenario.
I really am this stupid.

Now move along...up until now I've received nothing but great help from this site.

Glad my plight has entertained you.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The brown wire goes on the small post of the solenoid which is on the left, towards the bumper. The red with a blue stripe wire goes on the small right post, towards the firewall. Incidently, on a wiring diagram the number of the brown wire is 262 and the number of the red with blue stripe wire is 32A.

another thing which is a possibility is the ignition switch. If it does not spring back from start to run, it will keep current flowing through the solenoid to keep the starter engaged. I've read here about that happening. I think it is possible for the key to turn back from start to run, but internally, the ignition switch is still acting as if in the "start" position. I have a spare 70 ignition switch and key, which is good, if you want to try swapping it in as a means of checking out the ignition switch in your car. I am in Sacramento, CA, where are you located? UPS it to you?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, and I ended up replacing the ignition switch to fix it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You put the two wires on the front of the starter solenoid on backwards.That isn't what made the car chew up the starter,though.You have another issue going on there.If the second starter didn't get chewed up then the first one was probably the wrong one for your bell housing/flywheel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. I'll play around with it again tonight.

70sportsroof: Thank you very much for the offer. If I can't figure it out I might take you up on it. I live in LA; I'll PM you if I need that ignition.

Thanks again guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts