Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of storing my mustang outside for the winter. I have a really good cover for it but am still concerned about lines freezing/cracking etc. Is storing it outside an o.k. idea or not...ways to keep lines from freezing etc. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My only concerns with outdoor winter storage would be to make sure the cooling system is filled with reasonably fresh (a year old or newer) 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. That will give you protection to 45 degrees below zero.
Remove the battery and store it indoors if it is going to stay below zero degrees for more than a days, especially if its already been sitting awhile and the battery is in need of a charge. It isn't a bad idea to remove the battery any way around as it will charge much easier
when its warm.
If you aren't planning on draining the fuel system, make sure it has gas from a known good source in it, and add a gas stabilizer to the tank and run it for 10 to 15 minutes before putting her
to bed.
If you really want to get carried away, make sure your washer fluid has very little if any water content.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
This is a boat trick, but none-the-less. Put a shop light in the engine compartment and leave it on. They put out enough heat to keep at least the engine compartment warmer than the outside air. An engine compartment in a boat is sealed so it works much better, but it should help some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts