Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the story. When I bought my mustang (about a month ago) i drove home ...drove it a day after that. and somehow the next morning the battery was dead. i bought a new one and it worked. Then my water pump broke and it sat until last friday with the battery cables dissconected. on friday i connected the cables and left them on the battery. Saturday afternoon I went to turn my car on and the battery was dead again. I connected jumper cable to another car and tried to start it and it wouldnt start....(but the lights and things like that worked...while connected to the other battery)

now i know this isnt much information, but someone might know.
It might just be that some sort of light was on and the battery died and then something went wrong with my engine....eheheheh

thnx guys and gals

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You've got a short. Just need to isolate it and repair. Isn't it funny how those PO's always fail to mention these kinds of problems? ::

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are you getting a spark when you hook the battery cable on the battery, if you are something is drawing voltage from the battery.............need to find what.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually i do get a spark...could it have been the interior lights under the dash?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Could be anything, interior light, stuck brake lights, radio, you just have to start eliminating things. When the battery is hooked up go around and check EVERYTHING to make sure NOTHING is on.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you need to isolate what is drawing current from battery. to do this you need to insert ammeter in battery leads, observe current reading, and then pull 1 fuze at a time tlll it goes away. PM me if you need help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts