Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new starter put in three weeks ago, I got to work today and went to turn off the car and the engine kept on running, I pulled the coil wire to stop it.
What could be the problem

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry, I can't think of a thing, however if you don't have a name for the car I might consider Forest. What with all the running its doing.

*runs away from the bad joke police

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Hi, I had the same thing happen on mine except it didn't start but kept turning over. I installed a new ignition switch thinking that was bad. Still continued to try and start, had to pull the neg. batt. wire to stop it.
Turned out is was my newer solenoid on the fender, put the old one back on, car operated correctly.
Jon

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished work and went to start the car but no go, engine turned over and sounded like it wanted to start. Then I openned the hood and notice the wire from the solenoid to either the back of the engine or back of the dash was fired only showing bare wires. It is the wire from the front of the soleniod where the two nipples are the one closes to the rear of the engine.
It was pretty dark so I could see exactly where the wire runs to.
Any more input
Thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Bad solenoid switch (on the inner fender)? After checking the wires that would be my 1st thing to replace. They're cheap ($12 maybe) & all parts houses have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts