Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I managed to have my neighbor call the cops on me today without even a warning, so I cant go work on my car until I put some exhaust on the darn thing(there goes my thoughts of 1 chamber flow masters). anyway, here is the situation... Im making it long so I don't leave much question.

Just put in 351 C
New dual point malory( I didn't gap both points, should I? They pre gaped?? id assume not)
rebuilt, but tuned and ran holley 2v
New plugs(.35), OLD coil, cap, new wires.
I don't know If I was correct with the firing order. I put harmonic on top dead center mark, then put number 1 plug where the rotor was facing, which was facing left, Is that right? The distributor could drop in any way, I just put it so the vacumme advance was facing forward.
Heres my problem. I turn the key and the thing fires right up. I mean right up! I can rev it over and over AND over. And it sounds great. Ive turned the dizzy a little clockwise while reving to stop the stumble and it revs great. THEN when I step off the gas to let it idle it dies. I have put on my old motor craft 2v from my 302(which ran fine) and it does the same thing, so I dont think the carb is the prob. I have messed with the idle screw to, no cigar. Oh, I recently put a new feul pump too. Could my fire order be off? Do open headers cause this?I dont think it would rev so good if the order was off(i set it to the order in the haynes manual). What would make it rev nice and start up right away but just die when trying to idle. Points? Timing? Vacuume problem? electrical? I never did go counter clockwise with dizzy, maybe I should. Please please help me. I really do appreciate all the help that Ive got so far, you all rock. Thanks, Josh.

Anybody here in san diego wanna help a kid get his cleveland running?? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If it s not the points, It sure sounds like a Vacuum leak.
I had my 351C do that when I put a 4300D Carb on it. It was a vacuum leak. a bad one too.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have the line from the PVC valve hooked up to the vacuum port on the back of the carb??? sounds like a bad vacuum leak, to.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The same thing happened to me-it turns our I had overtorqued the carb studs, they popped out and the gasket didn't seal -check for a vacum leak.
-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe your parking brake is on!

what? am i missing the joke? Im not saying the car wont move or go in gear. Im saying it wont idle in PARK , it just dies. But Ive plugged up everyhole so ill see what happens

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
Don't worry, I missed it too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts