Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out the rusted pump to carb fuel line last Thursday and replaced it with -6 an braided hose. Car started fine and I drove it around the block to check for leaks (none). Got in the car yesterday to drive down to the store for a Sunday paper. Car started right up. Let is run for about 5 min to warm up. Revved it up a few times and when I took my foot off of the accelerator, car died. Cranked it up again and it idled very rough and died out again. After that I could not get it started to save my life. I know it's getting fuel because I can smell it. Engine is a 289 w/Performer 289 intake and Holley 1460 carb. I moved the fuel filter before the pump because it would not look good in the middle of the braided hose. Any suggestions?

G

·
0 Posts
did you flush out the braided hose before you put it on? could be some loose pieces of rubber that got sucked into your carb. you could smell gas because it might only be trickling out of the discharge nozzle instead of a full stream.

G

·
0 Posts
Filter before the pump is your problem. Mechanical pumps do not like to draw through a filter

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking the same thing but needed to hear it from someone with more experience than me. I really don't want to put a filter in the braided hose, any other place I could put it? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. The Holley 1460 has a different thread the the screw-in type filter. It is 9/16-24. The screw in filters are usually 3/8 or 7/8.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
you can buy the chrome carb line from Summit. It's like $35. It has a brass filter in it, and a fuel pressure gauge. it's got a barbed fitting on the end (detachable), so you can hook your braided line up to it.

Summit part no: SUM-G1524

1 - 8 of 8 Posts