Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm having some problems getting my '65 coupe started. Problems started last thursday (coincidentally - a couple hours after I placed an order for a pertronix). The car ('65 C code coupe w/ 289 and points) would start but ran real rough - as if the points were burned out or out of adjustment. I looked at the points, didn't look too bad but I replaced them anyway. Tried to get it running enought to put a dwell meter on it but no luck. It would start, but just run rough and sound exactly like it does when the points go bad. There seems to be good spark coming from the coil, I tried a different condensor, and I'm now not sure what else to look to.

My pertronix ignitor should arrive today. Should I just wait unitl that is intalled and hope this is a points realated issue? That kind of what I'm leaning towards right now. Or does anyone think it is something more involved.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like? If so, let us know. Black and sooty means a rich mixture. Too white is lean. A tinge of brown is juuusst right.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Just an outside thought..maybe a clogged fuel filter? The only reason I suggest it is it happened to me just two weeks ago. Car running great, after about a 40 mile trip, towards the end the car started running real rough...hard to start and keep running. 10 miles later, car will only stay running if you kept the RPMS above 2000 (not great in traffic). Checked my ignition, everything. Swapped carbs and filters...car ran great again.

Just a thought if the other ideas don't pan out. Maybe one of your wire boots burned through.

Slade

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bad battery? First thing to check when something suddenly changes. If you have a bad battery nothing seems right.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Distributor cap and rotor? Cheap and easy, and since you're already digging in to install pertronix....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
has to be either spark or fuel related.. check plugs, wires, grounds, cap, rotor for anything suspicious. also check your fuel filter . and it never hurts to find out if your battery is failing you . if your going to put in a pertronix, id say a full tune up wouldnt hurt at all, at least youl know that with your new ignition everything else is new and up to par. besides, nothing is better than the way the car runs and feels after a full tune up, i love that *G*.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:DYou called it - Distributer cap and rotor did the trick. Strange - there didn't appear to be anything visibly wrong w/ either. But now she runs like a dream.

Thanks bdshannon ;)

I love the cheap repairs!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'd rather be lucky than good.... When in doubt I usually replace the least expensive part first and see. This mentality has served me well. Glad it worked for you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts