Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and came up with some issues regarding vapor lock, but some symptoms differ from mine. I just drove the car for the first time in 13 yrs! I got it backed out of the garage (after I let it warm up), and then I stalled it trying to make it up the hill on my driveway. Since that happened, it won't start. The motor cranks over (doesn't start) about two revolutions and then almost seems to seize. Oil pressure is good and I have an edelbrock 1406 and pertronix ignition. It seems to me that if the ignition were bad, it would still crank over and just not start. When I press the accelerator to the floor while trying to start, gas fumes come out of the carb and sometimes when I start it after it has sat for a day or so, it spits gas and flames out of the carb. I have yet to attach the electronic choke on the carb, but I adjusted the timing to where I obtained the smoothest idle (what should the normal advance be for this car?...351W with very mild cam). If anyone could point me in the right directions, it would be greatly appreciated. Now my car is stuck outside of the garage and it needs to go back to its home ::.

thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that I cut a length of rubber fuel hose and slid it around the metal fuel tubing that runs along the front of the engine to keep it cool. Additionally, I am running a 1" spacer under the carb. I pulled a spark plug and it is black, indicating a rich condition. If an engine is running too rich, can it produce these symptoms?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Just a hunch – try retarding the timing a hair or two. If my Pertronix is set where the engine idles at its absolute smoothest, it hardly starts at all when hot. If I retard it just a bit, I still have hard hot starts, but it does turn over every time.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Since you haven't attached the choke wire yet, did you adjust the choke spring housing all the way forward (clockwise) so it holds the choke plate all the way open? You probably did but had to ask. I know on my edelbrock 1406 it can be a devil to start if I touch the pedal after stalling or just parking in drive for couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Your problem does not sound like vapor lock. What your saying is: when cold the motor cranks fine, but when hot the motor turns over slowly and runs out of grunt after a couple of revolutions.

If this is your problem then my first guess is that your engine ground wire is either missing or it's not well connected. Try improving the ground connection for the motor and see if this helps.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have the choke plate held open (I use a screwdriver). I will check my engine ground to see if that could be the possible culprit. I will also try retarding my timing a hair or two if the ground does not prove to be at fault.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The motor cranks over (doesn't start) about two revolutions and then almost seems to seize......sometimes when I start it after it has sat for a day or so, it spits gas and flames out of the carb......I adjusted the timing to where I obtained the smoothest idle.
All signs point to your timing being way too far advanced. You cannot set the timing to best idle without being way off. When advanced this far, the engine will hardly (if at all) turn over when warmed up. Turn the distributor the same direction as the rotor turns to retard the timing a few degrees at a time, and you should be good to go. Can't tell you which way this is, as I don't know what engine you have in the car.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all of the great replies. turns out that the battery was actually the culprit. even though it is new (in terms of use), it is nearly two years old and fails to successfully maintain a charge. i replaced it and everything is fine (except for the flames shooting from the carb...still have to retard the timing and lean out the jets). thanks for all the great replies!

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts