Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a little background, installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge, routed new copper hose, all set up ready to fire her up and test out the gauge. Car starts right up, I see the pressure on the gauge rising than I hear a pop and the car shut off. Curious, I pop my head into the engine bay to see what the pop was and in my eagerness to test the gauge I forgot to tuck away the old electric sending wire and it appears the fan sheared off the connector. I found the connector laying under the battery tray. Interesting though I also see on the side of the solenoid that connects the battery there appears to be burn marks on the eye hole of the cable. Wonder if the sheared off cable shot up there and shorted something out. Long story short, car won't start. Turns over, I can see the fan spinning, but no luck even when pumping the gas pedal. Changed out solenoid with a good spare, still nothing. Battery reads 12 volts dc as does both solenoids. Anyone got any ideas? Fuse? Voltage regulator? Seems like just when I get one thing figured out something else happens, the fun of owning a classic right. Appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
746 Posts
First, check to see if you have 12v. to the + side of the coil when you turn on the key. If not, there's a good chance you might have burned the resistance wire. Since you say it cranks, that would indicate that the starting circuit from battery to solenoid to starter is OK. If you have power to the coil, then you'll have to see if you have spark from the distributor to the plugs. No spark could point to a shorted ignition condenser.

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
If the engine cranks over but doesn't fire you need to test the small I post on the solenoid for 12V while cranking. That is where the coil gets power during starting. Did you check the wires on the coil? Maybe when the oil pressure wire got caught in the fan it jerked a wire off of the coil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, that's why I come to this site. I tend to overthink and fear the worst when something happens. Those replies helped me find the problem, when the fan sheared the wire it yanked the harness from the coil to where ever it goes in the car. Thanks awhtx and travis98146 for the quick response and help, she's back up and running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts