Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had a couple of problems cooling my 393 after going to an electric fan. Here is a link to the last post: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com//showtopic.php?tid/1512995/

This time I tried a Dodge Caravan OEM fan plucked from the junkyard. I also decided to go up on the alternator to a 3g 130 amp from a T-Bird. I pulled a Taurus fan but it was simply too thick. The Caravan is similar looking and just a bit smaller in dia and I was able to cut it down to 4" thick and it is also two speed. Only had 3 and 3/4" of clearance so I cut the rad support to push the alum rad back another inch, now I have about 3/4" of clearance from the fan and pulleys. I hooked it up on a thermostatic relay to go on around 180* and now it keeps it there. The previous try with the Zirgo fan was not enough and would never shut off, this one brings the temp down and cuts off when not needed. Best 30 bucks spent so far...

Here are some installed pics:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee211/mnstrmustangphotos/Bullitts%20N%20Hood/FastbackRadFan024.jpg
I had to trim one side to fit.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee211/mnstrmustangphotos/Bullitts%20N%20Hood/FastbackRadFan017.jpg
Other side:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee211/mnstrmustangphotos/Bullitts%20N%20Hood/FastbackRadFan019.jpg
More pics at my photobucket link in sig- also hoses don't get that pressure I was complaining about as well. Ran around 180 to 185 today in mod warm SoCal.

M

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

After work went to grab a burger at a dinner in Santa Monica and a hot rod club was there. They heard me rump rump into the lot and came over to look under the hood. "what cam you got in that 289?" one guy asked "sounds like solid lifters?" he added. "nope just a comp cams with hyd lifters but in a punched out 393." I said- they complimented me on a nice looking and sounding engine marveling at how I got it in there and I felt like a million bucks... These guys had cars worth 10X my Mustang.
"Where you buy that fan?" another guy asked. "Junkyard..." I said as I pointed to the trimmed side. I ended up part of the show and was invited back. Very cool evening finished off by some spirited driving back home. :pirate:

M

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Nice job Mario! That fan looks VERY much like the crazy thick Taurus fan I put in the '67. I had to offset the radiator a bit to make the Taurus fan fit, but these OEM fans are totally the way to go (inexpensive & very reliable). BTW - where were you at in Santa Monica for the car show? And did you go to the pier for the beach concert?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Monster said:
After work went to grab a burger at a dinner in Santa Monica and a hot rod club was there. ... they complimented me on a nice looking and sounding engine marveling at how I got it in there and I felt like a million bucks...
It's a great feeling! I wish I could have it more often! Nice setup and way to go! I hope it works out well!!

M/C

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update- Friday driving home fan went off. Relay stopped working. Took a look over the weekend and I must have drew too many amps through the relay and toasted the two main power wires. The thermostat and relay are sealed so I can't repair it. But I will rewire and put two seperate relays for Hi and Low and it should be OK. never stops does it? But I managed to hot wire the fan in Low and drove it home just fine on low speed all the way- 45 min LA drive.

Fan is from 97 Caravan. 4 wires two speeds.

Restaurant is Teddy's Dinner located on Bundy and Pico in Sana Monica. Old Timer's hot rod club there every Thursday and they are starting a Mustang club 3rd Wednesday of every month.

I will update with new wiring.

M

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS

Also going to try and figure out how to put a warning light if power goes out to fan. I was hot before I realized it after just getting confident that it was working great.

M

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, Single fan. It was around 27" wide and I trimmed it to 24" to fit my rad. Like I said very similar looking to the Taurus and or T bird fans. These fans pull a bunch of air- I hear the dual fans do as well. If you can fit it in there it would probably still work even if it hung off the sides, since they pull so much air.

M

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
you could always block off the part sticking out on either side with some fiberglass work....

I'm assuming the caravan setup is similar to the Neon,having built 5 or so turbo neons, some running fairly close to 400HP...I never had to upgrade the cooling fan, the only time I ever put a different fan on there was for intake manifold space if I switched to one to take up more room...the Neons have a dual setup most of the time, but you can also find them with one big single fan(which is what my current daily driver neon has) my current neon is mild...with just a 2.4L swap, but the temperature never gets over 180* even on the hottest days sitting in traffic...not that that would apply to a v8 of course, just saying I have good experience with Dodge fans...never have had one fail on me either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts