Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's the old "two steps forward and one step back" thing, and it's getting me down. ::

Finished the p. steering/front end rebuild. Along the way, my Holley 4160 seems to have suffered from the long downtime. Rebuilt it, all looked good. End of first test drive, idle goes to sh#t, rough and rich. ?? Pull carb apart again. All looks good. Reassemble. Starts and purrs. Several test drives, all good. Head to the exhaust shop yesterday to get things secured up where I had pulled 'em loose. Down to the shop, running like a dream. Finish the exhaust work and restart to check the job, idle gone to sh#t. ?? Nurse it home by idling in neutral at about 1500 rpms. Runs okay otherwise.

Leave car in garage last night to ponder its misdeeds. Get up this a.m. and crank it up for another test drive, before I consider pulling carb for 3rd time. Runs like a champ! Pulls smooth in all situations, idles like a top. ?? ::

And then there's the dreaded bumpsteer. GW says "Gee, haven't seen any problems on 69s w/ our dropped UCAs." Well, we have now. Sigh. :p

Somebody give me a friendly pat me on the back and tell me what's wrong w/ my carb?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Gas is probably dripping down the throat of the venturis due to a float valve that is misbehaving.

I think it's the material they use these days...seems to need one readjust.

Holleys are still worth it....never saw another carb hit anywhere near as hard (maybe a predator would, but theyre not that streetable from what Ive heard).

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
This is why I quit using Holleys. Let them sit up for a couple of months and the fun begins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts