Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted earlier on my 65 289 2V. It will only start if I add stater fluid. I put in a new acc. pump and fuel pump. Where to go from here. P.S. It is a motorcraft carb. Thanx ::

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Does it idle OK once started? Any difference from cold to warm start? Do you get a good squirt out of the accelerator pump nozzle when moving the throttle by hand?

If you've got the URL for the earlier post, it might help to reference it here so lazy bums like me won't ask the same questions twice...*G*

Get back to us...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The initial diagnosis was fuel pump and/or accel. pump.
The car runs fine once started and will start after an hour or so afterwards.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Have a professional mechanic examine the accelerator pump linkage, diaphragm, inlet check, nozzle assembly/gasket and outlet check. Examine this exploded view to familiarize yourself with the parts.

How is acceleration from a standing start? Any major hesitation and/or intake backfire?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car sat for 4 years or so. Is the mcraft carb considered a piece of junk? THANK YOU

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Autolite 2100's are a simple, reliable carburetor. My first car came with one. Only reason I changed it was because I wanted more performance. The carb in the picture you looked at is on my D-coder; it's the 4V version of that carb. I've had that carb (and car) for 10 years now and have never rebuilt it. Since my mom's stroke last year, the car has been sitting in her garage (swapped cars so she wouldn't be able to drive) and I just started it a couple of weeks ago after it having sat for 6 months. Dumped a couple tablespoons of gas down the carb and it cranked right up and ran fine.

Once you get it right, you'll forget all about this....*G*

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about your MOM. The accl. pump I bought came with a
Brass 1/2 x 1/4 fitting or ccylinder. Is that part nec?
I did not see it when I removed the old acc. pump.
THANX

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Sorry about your MOM.

Thanks. She still gets her days wrong sometimes and runs into things (vision is gone on left side) but otherwise is still healthy and will be 82 next month. Just no driving anymore *G*

I don't know what that item is that was included in your kit. Haven't seen it before. The pump should work with the other parts you've installed. Verify proper adjustment and operation. Also, check your float level and operation of the pump inlet check (by operating the pump with the lid off). You shouldn't see any reversion into the bowl when actuating the pump. Double-check on the nozzle check which is mounted under the venturi retaining screw. If it is sticking, that could account for your problem.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You nailed it. I bought a rebuild kit for 12 bucks. Replaced the
accel. pump and the float mech. blew out the venturi repl.
a few gaskets bolted it together and VIOLA a started car is born. THANK YOU for your help...................Blake ::

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Glad I could help with your carb problem. Now you'll be able to offer valuable advice to a future VMF'er who may find himself/herself in your position.

Good luck with the car....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts