Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used the Mr. Gasket paper type open square bore gaskets (no seperators) on my Edlebrock 1406 4 bbl carb but the other day someone told me I should try either the square bore (4 holes) or the other type of square bore (one seperator) with my type of carb. I was thinking of trying these gaskets (Edelbrock rubber gaskets) somone brought up the other day in a post and since they come in all 3 flavors, I was wondering what was recommended and is there advantages of one style over another.

Mark

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
someone told me I should try either the square bore (4 holes)
Do NOT listen that someone! ONLY use a 4 hole gasket with a 4 hole spacer, between the spacer and the carb. If you you use it on an open spacer, under the spacer, or with no spacer, the part over the open plenums of the intake will be subjected to constant fuel mixture, they start to deteriorate and you'll find bits and pieces of it everywhere.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I had to make an emergency trip to Vacaville once where my daughter got stuck in her car with this exact situation. She couldn't get the car to idle at anything less than 2500 RPMs. I found pieces of the gasket stuck in both throttle blades, keeping them from closing.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification on the 4 holer John. I have a couple of Chevy only friends that frankly scare me sometimes with the the stuff they suggest. I usually ignore them and them come ask on here.

So would the 9266 (with seperator down the middle) like Cloney suggested work/make any diff in performance or would I be better off just staying with the open type?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Gasket selection depends on your intake - that's what you want to match up.

IIRC, you're running a Stealth, which has the divided plenum, so use the divided gasket.

If you're using an open plenum / single plane intake, use the open gasket. If you're using a stock "4-hole" intake, use the 4-hole gasket.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm using the 9266 also, and there wasn't any performance difference by switching to it. But I had heard enough instances of people having trouble with hard starting when the engine was hot that it seemed like a good preventive measure for $15 bucks or so.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I kept reading this and thinking "is he answering his own post each time"? I finally realized that an H separted the Clone part in your title...lol. After all, you know, "Concours hating" is a path to the Dark Side...lol. :: Sorry ,I watched Episode 3 last nite again...and again...and again...darn kids. :: I too have always heard that you have to use a 4 hole gasket with a square bore carb/spacer. I remember when Johnpro posted way back about the gasket ordeal. :wall:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I do have the stealth so divided it is. I know my "handle" is close to Cloneys. I picked it before I ever saw a post from him and in the past we have been confused on some posts although he is by far the smarter one of us (just look at the questions I ask) :lol: :lol: Oh and my car is black and gold and his was......oh never mind..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts