Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding which carb and intake setup I want for my '65 hardtop. It's got a swapped in 302 with Edelbrock Performer intake and a 500 CFM carb on it now. Car runs great, but I think 500cfm is low for a 302. I have an Autolite 4100 and a '67 cobra intake sitting in my garage... Do you guys think the autolite is worth a rebuild? :shrug:I guess what I'm asking is will the Autolite/cobra intake combo add more power than the Edelbrock setup on there now? I'm thinking yes, but opinions are welcomed!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
500cfm is perfect for a 302 with a stock cam and valves. The 4100, if it was for an A code 289, is only about 480cfm, which is also perfect for a stock 302. If it was for a HiPo, it is 600cfm, which is a bit on the large side for a stock 302. Without cam and head/valve upgrades, I don't think you will see any noticeable difference between intake manifolds.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 4100, and use one atop my 302's Performer intake. You need an adapter plate to fit it, though, due to the Edelbrock's narrower mounting flange. One advantage of the 4100 over the Edelbrock is that you can get the downshift linkage aligned correctly, which I was unable to do with the Edelbrock that was on the car when it was sold to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Joe! It certainly would be easier to leave well enough alone. Are all autolite 4100 carbs created equal? The tag on mine reads C5AF AL. I'm having trouble finding concrete info, but it looks to me like this model was used on the 352ci and/or the 390ci???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RC - good info at that link. Looks like all of the c5af's are 600 cfm, though I don't see specifically the C5AF - AL. The search continues!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm running a 4100 1.08 on top of a shelby intake. It is basically the same as the cobra intake. It was an over the counter product in 68. If your 4100 was from a 352 or 390 you might have the 1.12 version. It should say 1.08 or 1.12 right on the base of the 4100 on the passenger side near the bottom.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I'm running a 4100 1.08 on top of a shelby intake. It is basically the same as the cobra intake. It was an over the counter product in 68. If your 4100 was from a 352 or 390 you might have the 1.12 version. It should say 1.08 or 1.12 right on the base of the 4100 on the passenger side near the bottom.
Actually it won't have the decimal point. It will say either "108" or "112" on it.

And it's on the driver's side of the carb, where the throttle linkage is. Some people call it a 'clock face' because it's a stamped circle with the venturi size number in the middle.

Sounds like you have the 1.12

-Matt

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
For a fun all-around driver, sounds like to me you've got it dialed in. Now if you started to get into some kind of regular weekend amateur racing the other setup might serve you a little better. Maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts