Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding an Autolite 2100 and it's giving me fits. I cannot remove the two jets in the bottom of the float bowl, nor can I get the float valve seat out. According to my shop manual there was a "jet wrench" that is used to get them out.

Does anyone know where I can get a jet wrench? I have looked for it in mustang parts stores, as well as places like JC Whitney and Harbor Freight. No luck.

I am about to strip them out with a big screwdriver.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Use a piece of cereal box cardboard around the tip of the appropriate sized flat blade screwdriver and jam it in the jet. Push down real hard while turning. Always works for me. The jet is soft brass, and if you have damaged the slot at all with previous attempts, it may not work. The only jet wrench I've come across is for Holley jets. Not going to work with Autolite jets. Ask me how i know.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do you know j/k :)

Sounds good, I will give it a try. I have been using a bodacious screwdriver that fits the slot and I have damaged it a little already.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The trick is to not have any free play once you jam the screwdriver in. If you need jets, I may have some lying about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ylexot, I managed to strip the fuel inlet seat, but got an EZOut and that did the trick! On the jets, I put the cardboard on it and tried but no go. Then I put a wrench on the shaft of the big screwdriver and that had the leverage to get the job done.

The jets (are they both the same size? I assume so) look ok, but I could use an idle needle screw (the ones that screw into the base of the carb under the float bowl). One of mine is bent. I would be happy to pay for it. I can't find it at a parts place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts