Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on which carb kit I need to buy for my Motorcraft 2100. Napa has the Echlin brand for 19.99 and Autozone has the Sorenson brand for 13.99. I notice several on Ebay for over 20 dollars and am just wondering what is the difference in these carb kits to make the price of them so far apart. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
NAPA or get a Motorcraft. I've never been impressed with the Sorenson parts.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hemikiller said:
NAPA or get a Motorcraft. I've never been impressed with the Sorenson parts.
What about the sorenson parts are sub-standard? I have never used them, just wondering.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I suggest you get a Motorcraft kit. They come with a new needle valve, seat and an accelerator pump. The only thing you don't get is the float.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Echlin makes good stuff, I'd go with them, or the Motorcraft stuff

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, it's either the NAPA or the motorcraft kit.
But, what makes them better than the Autozone brand? A gasket is a gasket as far as I am concerned, and 99% of these kits consist of gaskets. Is the needle and seat different between the brands?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
A gasket is a gasket? Hmmm!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Go with the best you can afford. It depends on how many times you want to do the job. In my experience, the off brands are questionable unfortunately, hence the cheaper price. The materials in the cheaper brands are likely not the same quality. I've never heard of Sorenson but I would not use a kit that I had not dealt with before when something similar is available for just a few dollars more. And no, a gasket is not just a gasket. I wish it was. But the material is likely different.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,253 Posts
GP Sorenson parts always seem to be the bottom dollar if you are comparing. Also the lowest quality. Most of their stuff works OK, just could be better.
NAPA's Echlin brand has always been reliable for me if not quite top of the line.
One engine I built for a truck needed the crank reground. I took it to an engine builder shop to swap it out. They made me a deal on an engine rebuild gasket set so I picked that up too. McCord brand I believe they were. A year later EVERY stinking oil sealing gasket was leaking (valve cover, oil pan, etc) plus the rear main seal. I build an identical engine about 6 years ago with all FelPro gaskets. The McCord set cost about half what the FelPros did. I do not care. If McCord gaskets are free, I still don't want them. Not real thrilled with "Detroit" brand either though I have no specific beef with them.
As far as "paper" gaskets go, more than once have I held a cheap one in one hand, a better one in the other, and I could certainly tell which was which just by feel if nothing else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts