Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running an Edelbrock carb 1406 600cfm or that type on their 65 or 66 Mustang. I have had mine on their for a while. My question concerns the throttle linkage and the gas pedal. In order to get full travel I had to take the stock linkage from a 4100 and thread the rod another inch or so. Allowing me to screw the part that hooks to the gas pedal linkage further down. Also, I have to pull the gas pedal linkage forward till it is hitting the rear of the intake to get enough travel. Is this common? If I don't pull the pedal linkage so far towards the rear of the intake it will make the pedal sit too low in the car. Also, I bought the Total control porducts linkage to replace the stock one which I am afraid might break or fail one day since I had to thread it more and it seems to bend a little. This Linkage was a little too long - due to the pedal having to be so close to the rear of the intake....TCP said I could cut the linkage down a bit...and of course add a washer or nut to the carb side to keep it from rubbing....
Is it possible I have a bad gas pedal rod that is bent wrong or something? It goes out of the firewall on the engine side and then it is bent on an angle towards the rear of the intake before going straight upwards. It looks very similar to the one in my automatic car....obvisouly with out the kickdown portion. Any help would be appreciated.

Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
What intake are you running?

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which adapter? I saw an automatic adapter, but I run 5-speed Man.

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
On my temp 302, I'm running a stock iron manifold with the 1406. I bought a piece of rod from Lowe's bent it to how I needed it and threaded the ends with a 10/24 die. I used a spherical end I bought from Mc Master Carr and bolted it to the carb. Very easy to do, looks trick and works great. I'm not telling you that you have to do it this way, only to give you some Ideas.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Kory, I am running a similar setup in my 66'. I have the 1405 carb (manual choke) sitting atop a performer manifold. My accelerator rod pretty much stands straight up and down (parallel to the firewall). I get full travel near as I can tell, and I only have the throttle rod threaded into the accelerator rod about 1/4" or so. See if someone can get you a picture of the accelerator rod to verify that yours isn't bent or damaged. Also, make sure youe return spring setup is kosher. Hope this helps.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you shoot a digital picture of your throttle rod and set up if you have a digital camera? I am starting to think that maybe the gas pedal rod I have is wrong...maybe it was some modified automatic one or who knows what...it looks right, but I thought it should have more up and down to it too.

Kory

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No problem, but you will have to wait until Monday. I am at work....the car is at home...you get the picture (pun intended). If that isn't fast enough, maybe someone else can hook you up. Send me an e-mail if you still need it.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have the same setup as you on both my running mustangs (except they're both automatics). On my '66, I could never open the secondaries, as I could not adjust the linkage to get full travel. Like you say, either the rod hit the back of the intake or the pedal hit the floor. My solution: bend the throttle rod. I placed a breaker bar in between the throttle rod and the firewall to spread the load out and not damage the firewall while I gently pushed the throttle rod closer to the firewall. I bent the rod probably 1/2 iinch to 1 inch and it gave me all the room I needed for full throttle travel. I believe I even received the doofus award on this one, as I drove the car for almost a year before I realized I couldn't give the car true WOT.

For the linkage assembly on the '66 I used the Mr. Gasket "universal carburator bushing" available at any speed shop, and probably even Pep Boys. It fits perfectly into the big hole of the 1405/1406 Edlebrocks and has a little "arm" sticking out that the stock linkage goes through (requires the very last bend in the stock linkage be snipped off) and has a set screw that holds it into place. This setup costs about $10, installs in about 2 minutes, looks factory, and works great.

I guess what I'm trying to say is bend the throttle rod a little to get the travel you need ... just take it easy as you do it, because it doesn't take much bending to get it "right".

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts