Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been laboring under mistaken impressions. I thought the carb on the 68 coupe was a 4100, but on closer inspection, it appears to be a 4300. I've read nothing but praises about the 4100, but the 4300 doesn't seem to be held in such high regard. Here's the question. Should I rebuild this 4300, or replace it with an Edelbrock when we put the new Performer intake on during the rebuild of the 302? I'm not looking to really increase the cfm for the boy's daily driver. Thanks.

James

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
OK, you just have to stir the hornet's nest on this saturday AM, LOL!!!

I'm a big holley proponent....I've used holleys, edelbrock/carter (same thing), and autolites.

I stand by my opinion that holleys perform better......I've heard lots of folks talk about the need for seasonal recalibration and momentary stumble and know after the float valves are installed, they'll need 1 more adjustment (which is easy), but I've never had to recalibrate them or had a stumble I couldnt easily adjust away, and I've never felt like I had to crutch the calibrations for any combo I've had.

Bottom line for me...I know why racers use them...they deliver power NOW.....I daily drive a 600 holley electric choke and love it!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm not much of a Holley fan. I like the Edelbrock/Carter carbs. I also really like the 4100's if you can find one. Really simple and easy to rebuild. If this is a kid's car, try to find a 480 cfm 4100.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts