Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Possibly boiling over after shut down leaving the bowl empty

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Might have a slow leak in the power valve. After you shut it down and let it cool off, go shine a flashlight down the carb throat. Should be dry if nothing is leaking.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Might have a slow leak in the power valve. After you shut it down and let it cool off, go shine a flashlight down the carb throat. Should be dry if nothing is leaking.
Edelbrock carbs don’t have a power valve like a Holley.
Other than a casting flaw, there is no way for fuel to leak past the main body of the carb.

The most likely cause is fuel evaporating out of the carb when parked. This is a common problem especially with today’s ethanol blended fuels.

This is the only reason I like electric fuel pumps. Turn the key on and the pump starts pushing fuel up to the carb before you crank the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Sitting overnight (cold engine) then running ragged for a couple minutes sounds like the choke isn't adjusted correctly even if the cold idle screw is cranked up enough to keep it running. Ran a 1406 for 20 years and had to mess with the choke twice a year...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm with @myfirstcar66. Although my other friends have a point about boiling fuel(the reason I converted to EFI). The edelbrock carb I had popped right off when the choke was set with gas pedal before cold starts. Even with my vapor lock issues. If you have ignition power to the choke, mash the gas to the floor to set it, the car should start right up and idle high til you tap the gas to put it on the second step. Great carb! my car sat alot before I bought it, and I really was pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Pull your dipstick and smell the oil. Does it smell "gas fouled"? If you're boiling the fuel out of the bowls it's going to condense somewhere and run down the intake into the cylinders, then past the rings. Over time the oil will become thinned by fuel.

Since you'll be removing the carb, anyway, to install a phenolic spacer, set it up on a "stand"... 4 bolts and 8 nuts threaded from the bottom will work... and set in a pan, fill the bowls and let it sit overnight to see if the fuel is leaking through a crack or other defect. If not, reinstall with your spacer and go.

FWIW, do you have a long length of rubber fuel line between the pump and carb?

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Thx guys...will look into these suggestions tomorrow
Where's the fun in that when you can wake the neighbors with the growl of experimenting with a cast iron American V8 ? It's not a party til the cops show up ! !

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts