Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '71 Friday to add to my stable, but I'm having trouble with carb. It has flat spot when I accelerate from a stop. If I give it a small amount of throttle it's ok, if I give it alot it's ok But when I drive it normal it will die. Seems to be worse when turning a corner from a stop.
It is a stock 2v on a 302. I changed that little diaphram on the front and that seems to help but did not fix it. What do I do next?
Thanks in advance,

John

[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>
[color:red]71 coupe 302 2v C4

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I know the feeling, except mine is different... WhenI accelerate from a stop, I get a lot of hesitation at low-mid throttle but nne if I open it up wide from a stop... I don't know man...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Have you popped the top and taken a peek at the float level? What did you see?

Also, take a look at this picture...although it is of a 4100, the pump lever setup is similar...
Try putting the pump arm on the innermost slot on the pump lever (at the left in the picture) and the top-most hole on the throttle arm...note the response...
Then move the arm down one hole at a time, noting any changes for better or worse...
Also, note the operation of the squirter nozzle....make sure it is tight and that you get good volume from it...

That's it for now...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pat, Great pictures!
I'll remove the top today after work and look. I will also change the linkage for the ride home to see if thea helps.
Thanks again

John

[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>
[color:red]71 coupe 302 2v C4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts