Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently tried to start my 67 hardtop after it has been sitting for about a month or so. The engine would crank and crank and would fire if sprayed starting fluid down the barrel of my carb. I took the carb (2100 autolite 2v) off and took it apart because I thought some crud might be clogging it up. When I opened the bowl, there was barely any fuel in it. I checked to see if I was pumping fuel to it thru the lines and that was OK. After I filled to bowl with gas & put it back on, it worked just fine. Then later I tried to restart and I had to floor the gas just to keep it running. As I looked down the barrels, I saw gas come out in spurts as well as a lot of air (which is where I think the problem lies). I have a few theories. I think it could be the float in the carb which may not be allowing enough fuel into the carb or the fuel pump which is pumping but maybe not enough. Both are fairly new. Anyone out there run across this and have any ideas or other things I should check??? Thanks in advance.

timmy p

·
Registered
405 Posts
try fuel filter first.
maybe there's a leak - take the carb off, and w/ the bowls 1/2 full, sit it on a newspaper. It should not have any gasoline dripped. If it does, a rebuild is probably in line - you've got some leaky seals.

http://www.66cherry.stangnet.com/images/driverscool1.jpg
If not, could be all the way back in the gas tank - the sending unit may be crudded up, which means the tank is a mess. I'm dealing w/ this same problem as we speak, and am likely to have a new gas tank as my next little "enhancement"

http://66cherry.stangnet.com
66 Vert, red w/ white top, new 302 roller, Ebrock 1405 & Perf Intake
99 Expedition - Custom
90 Caravan - my pick-up with seats

·
Registered
786 Posts
You seem to describe the fact there is no fuel in the bowl. In order to get it there you have to have sufficient pressure to the carb - if not back up to the tank. If good there, the float setting or needle valve and or fuel filter are probable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts