Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a 200 inline 6 would it be better to buy a new intake that supports 3 one barrel carbs, one that keeps a two barrel carb, or one that supports a four barrel carb. Thanks, sorry if this is a dumb question was just wondering and wanted to ask people who would know more than I did

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Well for an in-line 6 unless yo7 but one of the custom aluminum heads you can’t change the manifold. It is cast in.

What you can do is modify the built in manifold to accept a 2 barrel carb or the tri-carb set up.

When you ask what would be better, that is a loaded question. Define “better”. Better acceleration, better fuel mileage, better idle, better power, better torque, better looking, etc.

I suggest you look at the vintage inlines web site and see some of the options.

Whichever option you choose, consider replacing your current head with a later model “Large Log” head. It has a larger intake manifold and will make better use of your carb upgrade.

For overall performance and reliability the Ford 2100 carb cant be beat. It does require modifying the intake manifold to us it.

For the WOW factor nothing beats the Tri carb set up. But it is expensive and hard to tune.

There is no need to use a 4 barrel carb unless you are making many more mods and need the extra fuel.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Never having done any tuning on a straight six I have always wondered how the fuel is evenly distributed to the cylinders, especially #1 and #6. It looks to me like 3 small 1V carbs would be a lot more efficient than either a large 1V or even a 2V carb. There are a couple of members here that I can think of off hand running 3 1V carbs- "datac" and "Varilux".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts