Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I finally got the little tweaks complete on the engine compartment. I pulled the valve covers, re-adjusted my roller rockers, polished the valve covers (Motorsport) and painted over the black letering with blue to match the air cleaner assembly. I also installed those "universal" style metal spark plug wire looms, after first painting the divider blocks blue to match the valve covers/air cleaner assembly. INstalled new plugs, a new magnetic pick up in the MSD dizzy, cleaned the blue Jacobs spark plug wires, and dropped on the rebuild speed demon 650, whiich I polished a bit while I had it out. Also painted the ram air llid with a fresh coat of gloss black and also touched up the air cleaner base. Re-oiled the K&N filter. Just for grins and chuckles I plugged the vacuum tube at the rear of the carb which is typically used to hook up the PCV valve. Instead, I pulled the plug out of the performer rpm intake, that sits below the base of the rear of the carb, installed a hose bib and ran the hose to the pcv valve from there.

Tonight I started it up. Wow, ran better, very smooth throttle linkage and idled better, even though I forgot to plug in the No. 1 spark plug wire. Whoops. Ok, I have between 12 and 15 inches of vacuum at idle, where previously I had around 8 inches (of vacuum, stop that!). The carb is set up with a 5.5 power valve, mixture screws backed out 1.5 revolutions, and float level at the lowest setting. The timing is 12 degrees initial timing. What is interesting, is thatwith this dizzy, it seems to have about 8 degrees of advance from the mechanical advance, at idle. I literally could not retard the car to 0 degrees unless way BTDC. I no longer smell gasoline as I drive. I still get a backfire thorugh the tailpipes when de-accellerating and after shutting off the car, get a backfire. When I jump on it to engage the secondaries, there is a slight hesitation - at ip in - then it takes hold. It does not seem to have the kick you in the seat of the pants accelleration when the secondaries engage, that it had previously. OH yes, I uncovered the idle transfer slots in the carb base, below the butterflies, about .020, for both primaries and secondaries. I am encouraged at how much better the car is running, but sure woiuld like to eliiminate the backfire. I am thinking 1) too rich so turn in the mixture screws about 1/4 turn and 2) put tigher springs on the MSD to keep the mechanical advance from engaging so early. What do you think? Any suggestions? I am probably just one good carb adjustment away from having a strong runner,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, when is it backfiring? Idle mixture should have very little to do with backfiring. That's either timing or (YIKES) valves. Did you have the backfiring before?

What springs are you using on the MSD distributor, and what bushing are you using. So far, I haven't seen anyone that could actually run the lightest springs (2 light silver ones). They just don't pull enough and create a real inconsistent idle, especially after "romping" on it. I was have a problem with mine keeping a consistent idle with the light springs on it, and one day when 66benchcoupe was over here, he was telling me of a similar problem he had, that he cured with heavier springs. Sure enough, I went down 2 notches on the MSD charts (2 light blue springs), and my idle is dead on now every time I let of the gas, no matter how hard I just nailed it. I'm actually going to try to go back up one notch (1 light blue and 1 light silver) and see if that's enough and see if the car can pick up another couple hundredths.

So ... you think you're closing back in on me on ET? Guess I better get my traction-lok fixed, huh?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
congrats on getting the stang going better. ::

That's all i can think to say, I'm kinda, um, not messed up drunk, but messed up tired. Feeling kinda goofy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts