Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting a problem now for two years. I've done the fuel pump, lines, checked the timing and rebuild the carb. All of that improved the smoothness and starting but nothing has stopped the stalling issue when pushing the accelerator. I can see some gas dribbling in but not a steady stream. Carb cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner and all new parts inside. I keep thinking it's an accelerator pump issue but can't for the life of me figure out what else I can do.

It's a 65 i6 auto. All original. I've adjusted the pump based on the instructions in the carb kit and confirmed the choke is opening. (It's an auto choke)

What else can I check or do? I'm about to rip the head off, get an aftermarket intake and head with different carbs and no sparkomatic! (I won't but that's how frustrated I am. I don't like the log intake but I'm trying to keep it as original as I can.)

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
the acell pump should spray like a small garden hose in a steady stream through the shooters during the whole range of travel

if its trickling or spurting on and off then the acel pump is bad.,, should be a 15 minute fix

also IIRC they are notched so they only go in one way. chance you may have it cockeyed

Reactions: David Robinson

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just stuck a light down there and I'm not seeing what I expect. Ok. so does anyone have a diagram on how the pump is supposed to be reinstalled? the kit doesn't have enough detail. I think the old one was bad given all the ethanol damage and I put the new in wrong. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts