Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i am on the subject of taking shortcuts. I know people spend a lot of time and money getting the right plating on the carburetor screws and such but once the carburetor is installed and the air filter put on top about 50% of the work cant even be seen. How many people go for concourse restoration vs the standard restoration that the big name restoration shops offer?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Steve, great question. Restorations of components becomes a highly personal decision. It's really about being able to have the car restored correctly or at least as close as possible. Some folks have the connections, while others have the dollars. Pieces like carburetors, distributors and the like become great photo opportunities. Then when you factor the possible resale of the vehicle, the added value of getting those pieces replated come into play. The important thing is: if you do get them totally restored, do the research so that they do infact resemble the era in which they first became available. As far as MCA judging, it's purely subjective. Bottom line is: You the owner will know.

Mark Vasquez

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
As these services have developed over the years they have become more of a standard in the hobby. And allot more people seem to be looking for those things/parts that you can buy with a credit card and slap on a restoration rather than gettng their hands too dirty.

Yes you only see a little but as Mark offered you know its there and done. The vast majority of builders will use all new parts in their engines (less rods and crank) but no one sees those either ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MMV said:
Bottom line is: You the owner will know.

Mark Vasquez
I know exactly what you mean. I have done a bunch of things already on this car just becouse i wanted it right even though once the car is done no one will ever see it. The diffrence was there the only thing it cost me was a little time. Now i am getting to the point that this car will never be done. Either A)it will take way to long to get all the littel things right or B) i will be broke paying others to do it right.
:p Oh-well i am still in the getting prices stage and havent made up my mind as to what i will do yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts