Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all
ok here is my setup followed by my question. I have a 302 with AFR 185 heads , Edelbrock performer cam , air gap intake (bad ass model) holley 600 carb with headers

My holley carb has been giving me some trouble and I feel much more comfortable working on a edelbrock. I have a Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm with electric choke. I heard a larger cam can give more power (I know dont get caught up in the larger is better mentality on carbs So with my heads and cam setup should/could I go up to a 750 cfm carb or should I stick with a 600. I believe there is a 650cfm electric choke Eddy model as well.
Thoughts and suggestions, knowledge is appreciated

·
Just some guy
20,231 Posts
" I have a Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm with electric choke" Sounds about perfect. That's what I've been so happy with on a 302 I bought another one for my wife's 5.0. And she likes it too.
Not stuck on brands, an Autolite 480 cfm is a wonderful fit for a 289 or 302. I have an Edelbrock 650 CFM on my '67's 351W engine since it is physically bigger and can use a larger carburetor. Thinking about stepping it down to a Holley 600 CFM though and seeing how that works for it. I personally can't abide the "bog" of running too large a carburetor on a car expected to have decent street manners.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
with your mods I'd stick a least a 600. I have a GT40P Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads B303 Edelbrock F4B and a 1406 that was about perfect on my old 289 but is a bit lean now ,I need to get a kit and set it up like a 1405

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i have read some posts saying lean out the box or rich out the box. Step up the metering rods etc. what does that mean, sounds like I would just adjust the screws right?

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
500 is plenty for a street cruiser. You may need 600 if you're planning on racing it and need the extra fuel at WOT / high rpm.

·
Registered
260 Posts
185cc aluminum AFR heads seem rather large on a standard stroke 302. What are your cam specs? I'd think something slightly higher like in the 550-570cfm range would be better but I'm sure your 500 Edelbrock would be up for the task, depending on its condition. Seems like an odd combination of parts... stock 302 block, 185cc heads and a 500cfm carb.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you have the edelbrock performer cam or the performer rpm cam? What rear end gear are you running, what transmission, what year mustang?

·
Registered
853 Posts
ok so i have read some posts saying lean out the box or rich out the box. Step up the metering rods etc. what does that mean, sounds like I would just adjust the screws right?
Adjusting the screws will only effect fuel mixture at idle.
To properly tune a Edelbrock carb you need an assortment of jets, metering rods, and setup springs.
All of which are available in a Edelbrock tuning kit.
Edelbrock also has a tuning guide to help.
Most tuning can be done without disassembling the carb. Just use a torx screwdriver to open the two little doors on top. Then change the metering rods and/or springs.

Your engine will run great with either 500cfm or 600cfm. It just depends on how you want to drive it.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
LOL, He's talking "more power" and y'all are talking street cruiser? :rolleyes: HE SEZ MORE POWER! GO BIGGER! Lopey cams are cool and nothing matters but the big end!
It sounds like you want to throw out the baby with the bath water and trade it for another dirty baby. If you need to learn to tune a carburetor you may as well learn the Holley. But seriously, buy an EFI.

I HAD SPAM FOR BREAKFAST AND AM IRRITABLE!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My experience for a stock, 1968 J-code (230HP) 302 was:
  • The 600 CFM 1406 worked fine
  • The 500 CFM 1403 worked better and was a better choice - it had a wider "sweet spot" for tuning on my stock engine
Also consider either the 1903 (500 CFM) or 1906 (650 CFM) Eddys. They have annular venturi boosters and (from reviews, not personal experience) this seems to make bogging on throttle tip-in less likely than with the older1403/1406 which had only "down-leg" boosters.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,429 Posts
Put a Dominator 1150 on it. ???.

Get a Autolite 4100 or this...

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Me personally, the 500 would be fine. Unless you're going to be spending a lot of time at WOT and high rpms. Which I'm guessing you won't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
185cc aluminum AFR heads seem rather large on a standard stroke 302. What are your cam specs? I'd think something slightly higher like in the 550-570cfm range would be better but I'm sure your 500 Edelbrock would be up for the task, depending on its condition. Seems like an odd combination of parts... stock 302 block, 185cc heads and a 500cfm carb.
i would agree, any recommendations
i would agree any recommendations

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have the edelbrock performer cam or the performer rpm cam? What rear end gear are you running, what transmission, what year mustang?
i believe i have the performer cam not the rpm. I currently have the stock rear end gear. 2.79 which I will be upgrading to a 3.5 gear with a C4 its a 67 coupe

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Adjusting the screws will only effect fuel mixture at idle.
To properly tune a Edelbrock carb you need an assortment of jets, metering rods, and setup springs.
All of which are available in a Edelbrock tuning kit.
Edelbrock also has a tuning guide to help.
Most tuning can be done without disassembling the carb. Just use a torx screwdriver to open the two little doors on top. Then change the metering rods and/or springs.

Your engine will run great with either 500cfm or 600cfm. It just depends on how you want to drive it.
i have the edelbrock metering kit and tune up kit. I have no problem disassembling the carb so I can make sure it is good to go and know how it works. I am mostly curious with my heads and other components will a 500 cfm be undersized

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL, He's talking "more power" and y'all are talking street cruiser? :rolleyes: HE SEZ MORE POWER! GO BIGGER! Lopey cams are cool and nothing matters but the big end!

It sounds like you want to throw out the baby with the bath water and trade it for another dirty baby. If you need to learn to tune a carburetor you may as well learn the Holley. But seriously, buy an EFI.

I HAD SPAM FOR BREAKFAST AND AM IRRITABLE!
yea i may be throwig the baby out with the bath water, I just feel more comfortable working with the edelbrock. This morning I watched a few more holley videos then tried to tune it based on the video and I think i made it worse!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts