Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I ran the 1403 on my 302 for years and it was perfect. I have a similar setup except afr165 heads and a more agressive roller cam. I believe the 1403 is jetted more aggresively than the edel 600 carb.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I ran the 1403 on my 302 for years and it was perfect. I have a similar setup except afr165 heads and a more agressive roller cam. I believe the 1403 is jetted more aggresively than the edel 600 carb.
so Mike you would recommend going to the 500 crm carb. I read the Carb selector on the holley site and they recommended 570 and above for a 302.
I have never heard that the 1403 is jetted more aggressively, that is interesting. Im going to have to look it up.
My carb is in a pretty good place right now but not perfect. While idling it fluctuates a little bit if it is idling at 900 it may drop down to 8 or so then correct itself then do it again, Im wondering if that is the idle mixture screws or the curb idle. or just part of a carburetor doing its thing
If my car drops to 600 when driving it cuts off thats why i have the curb idle screw set to 900

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good evening all
ok here is my setup followed by my question. I have a 302 with AFR 185 heads , Edelbrock performer cam , air gap intake (bad ass model) holley 600 carb with headers

My holley carb has been giving me some trouble and I feel much more comfortable working on a edelbrock. I have a Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm with electric choke. I heard a larger cam can give more power (I know dont get caught up in the larger is better mentality on carbs So with my heads and cam setup should/could I go up to a 750 cfm carb or should I stick with a 600. I believe there is a 650cfm electric choke Eddy model as well.
Thoughts and suggestions, knowledge is appreciated
Below I have listed the optimal engine rebuild parts and specifications (including carburetor) for my new engine for my 1971 Mustang Sportsroof. I converted my 302 to a 347 stroker. The choice of performance parts was selected by a top performance engine builder. A 650 cfm carb was ideal for the 347 cu.in., heads and cam. You do not need the double pumper (a single pumper will do) and the double pumper does not come with an automatic transmission kick down lever, so I had to custom make one. Dyno tests showed an extra 10 hp with a 1/2in carb spacer.

HP = 428, Torque = 417 lb-ft
  • Eagle 3.4 in. stroker crankshaft.
  • Comp Cam, Extreme Energy Hydraulic
  • Roller Lifter, valve lift 0.56in., 2200-6200rpm.
  • Holley Carb., double pumper, 650 cfm., ½ in spacer.
  • Edelbrock Performer Dual Plane Intake Manifold.
  • Edelbrock Performer 2.0 in. RPM Cylinder Heads.
3,000 rpm stall torque converter, 3 spd. auto., 3.55 posi.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I think different people have different definitions of big and lumpy 270/280 duration .448 lift I dont think its all that big. However it does require a 2600 stall torque converter. I started the car last night and i think it was a choke thing. after it warmed up i tapped the pedal and the rpms dropped down.

You think my fast idle should be set lower than 1500. like I said the Holley instruction book says out of the box it should be 1500-1600 for my 4160 carb
That cam, with AFR185s, on a 302, is a a poor combination. What intake is on it? I’d think the car will be gutless no matter what carburetor you put on it, because the cam isn’t going to work anywhere near the RPM those heads are going to want to make power on a 302. The port velocity has to be way down.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Oh,,,, dont get it twisted, i never said the car was gutless, i have an air gap intake .I do eventually plan to upgrade to a 408 stroker but for now this is what i've got and performance wise i'm happy with it.I am considering getting a bigger cam but I don't want to do to much since in the next year or so I may be upgrading.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts