Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy a Phenolic carb spacer for a edelbrock carb and have a couple questions, is there a big difference between 1/2 inch and 1' as far as insulating , also there are so many brands and styles out there , which one would be a better choice, any info would be a great help

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
im looking to buy a Phenolic carb spacer for a edelbrock carb and have a couple questions, is there a big difference between 1/2 inch and 1' as far as insulating , also there are so many brands and styles out there , which one would be a better choice, any info would be a great help
I'm sure there is less heat conductance for obvious reasons and yes, the additional height is a good thing, but, you run the risk of your A/C nut contacting the hood. I'm running a Performer RPM, and when running my Holly with a drop base A/C and a 1/2" separator, I had to use the K&N Extreme cleaner top with the recessed wing nut relief, so as not to contact the hood when closed.
Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
i also have a Performer RPM but have a shelby fiberglass hood so im hoping the hood gives me enough clearance to run the 1 inch spacer, has anyone used summit racing spacers or should i consider another brand?Summit Racing SUM-G1404 - Summit Racing® Carburetor Spacers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hi,
If you have that "scoop" thing going on you'll probably be fine. Any good "phenolic" (non-conductive) spacer is good. Jegs/Summit, who ever is closer, they are all about the same money.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I used a 1/2" phenolic spacer and a drop base air cleaner to use a 2.5"-3" air filter on my high rise weiand. Even the 1/2" spacer made a huge improvement to my carb temps. before spacer the carb was just as hot as the intake ~180*-200*, after spacer install I could lean on the carb, warm but not burning hot. I took temp readings before/after with an IR but forgot to write them down.
I don't think you'll see a difference in perf. from one brand to another, not measureable anyway. I just bought the cheapest phenolic from Summit.
Jon

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the 1 inch spacer on with an air gap intake. I also have the shelby hood. I am running a narrow oval air cleaner and I had to delete the supplied plastic braket from the air cleaner to solve clearance issues. Even now I am right there... you could not fit a you know what in there now.

On higher compression motors, the 1 inch spacer showed a 10 hp gain to the wheels, not to mention the cooler fuel (as mentioned above). It will be close, but make it fit... it is worth it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Don't get a cheap generic one. The one I got was warped. I then went with a Moroso and all was well.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Reviving a old thread with questions. Anyone know if a 1 in spacer hurts lowend off idle power more than a .5 inch I would think so. How do the clover style spacers work over open and 4 hole ones. I was thinking it might be a good compromise over open, on a street motor. I think I can get a 1 inch under the hood with my drop base, hitting the playdoe test there in a min. I have a ebrock right now that heat soaks and vapor locks after it sits a couple minutes. I what to replace with a holley later this year but cant afford it right now.Thanks.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Reviving a old thread with questions. Anyone know if a 1 in spacer hurts lowend off idle power more than a .5 inch I would think so. How do the clover style spacers work over open and 4 hole ones. I was thinking it might be a good compromise over open, on a street motor. I think I can get a 1 inch under the hood with my drop base, hitting the playdoe test there in a min. I have a ebrock right now that heat soaks and vapor locks after it sits a couple minutes. I what to replace with a holley later this year but cant afford it right now.Thanks.
Hi,
No doubt you'll get many answers to you question of which works best. Unless you are on a Dyno, swapping manifolds with a known good well tuned carb, it's all going to be a "WAG", as each of our engines are different. Generally speaking, dual planes favor low-end TQ, while single planes favor top-end. Four holes favor low-end, while an open chamber tends to mid and upper ranges. Spacers increase the roof of the intake floor, thereby, allowing a smoother transition of the column of incoming mix which tends to favor higher Rs. Not to mention, they reduce heat to the carb, as we like. Non metallic, low-heat conducting spacers are favored, unless carefully machined in such away was to create a cooing affect in the case of aluminum.
Anyway, I think, I got this right.
However, my question..... Why you blaming the Eddy for heat soaking and vapor lock? It's not the problem. Not running a spacer, is more likely the culprit, unless you have an engine running hotter than normal.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If this is going on your 331 I would stay with a 1" open spacer. you really do need a better carb for your 331. you are leaving some power on the table with the edelbrock. I like the Holley 4150 street HP if you do not need the choke. Great carb for the money.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
YEa it my 331. The spacer Im thinking of is the Dart drt-62100002, its a 1 inch phelic. I would link it but dont know how. I m going to the 650 dp late this tear just cant swing it right now.

Your right the 4150 street HP is a nice carb. May be going that route at a later date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts