Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago after i shut off my engine I lifted my hood to check something...and I heard fuel droplets from my carb into the intake. I pulled off my cleaner and looked down my barrel and fuel was actually squirting out of my squirters of my Holley! It only lasted for about 30 seconds and was just kinda sporatic.

Well, yesterday when I shut off my car and could smell fuel. I popped off my air cleaner again, and fuel is still squirting out of my holley. It was pretty bad yesterday...i mean, it kept squirting sporatically for like 2 minutes until it stopped.

So what is the culprit? I've never really done much to my carb, but i could definitely work on it. I noticed the other day through my sight plug that my float levels are a little off on my secondaries. Thoughts?

Also, i know some of y'all may be thinking that maybe the throttle linkage is pulling back the throttle on the carb and squirting gas, but that is definitely not the problem. In fact, my throttle linkage pushes the throttle all the way back to it's stopping point.

Is there something that needs replacing? thanks for your help fellas,

Chaz

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The squirter(s) are the item in between the barrels held down by a phillips screws.

The venturi boosters (which is usually where the fuel is coming out of) are the loops sticking out in the middle of the venturis and when fuel drips out of them after shutoff it's usually bad float level/bad float valves, or really bad heat percolation.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i do not know what the vent is on my holley. :(

If the squirters are the small nozzles that send fuel down into the barrels when you open the throttle, then yes fuel is dribbling out of the squirters and not the vent (so what is the vent?)

Chaz

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OOHH, you must mean vent = venturi boosters. My bad. I understand now that i've read sharkmouth's response. I guess ima adjust them. I've never actually adjusted them b/c they seemed to be correctly adjusted (fuel level JUST below sight plug hole) when i first got the carb. Do I loosen the screw at the top of each bowl and take a wrench and turn the float adjustment whichever direction I need, correct?

thanks, this is helping alraady. =)

Chaz

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Fuel dribbling out the accelerator pump squirters is a classic example of heat soak. The pump housing is the lowest part of the fuel bowl and sits very close tot he intake. Install a phenolic carb spacer and/or a carburetor heat shield....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts