Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just rebuilt my carb, and it starts better, but i now have a new problem. The car starts and runs just fine at first, then the idle sunndely drops... then the car starts smoking, a few seconds go by and it drops more and dies. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes I had my demon get dirt in the needle and had this gigantic black cloud coming out of my exhaust for a few minutes untill i could pull over. I turned on my engine after the pull over to fine that the carb was almost full to the top with gas

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after i shut it down there is fuel dripping. BUT... the floats are down as far as i can adjust them... the nut that is supposed to turn the needle valve is completely off the needle valve...

·
Registered
526 Posts
You may have dirt in your needle seat. So try this: Pinch off the fuel line before the fuel pump and let the engine run till it runs out of gas. Unpinch the fuel line and start the engine. The new rush of fresh fuel will flush out the needle seat. Now, if you lowered the float all the way you'll need to readjust it.

I hope this works for you because it is real difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts